Making "Hidden Objects" Browser Games
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2020-06-29
About the Book
Discover how to create online "Hidden Picture" games using the methods in this single chapter from the Phaser Game Starter Kit Collection. When you finish this chapter, you will have a production pipeline ready to create as many different "hidden object" games as your imagination can dream of!
You'll also get bonus content, download examples, game variations, and source code references on how to do every single thing in this game design workbook, so you can copy and paste any examples into your own productions and then modify those resources for your own purposes. General Game Licenses are included in the purchased book.
I would like to guide you in creating several types of "Hidden Picture Puzzle" game mechanics. We will use the game mechanics, mechanisms and the development methods discussed in Phaser Game Prototypes. By the end of this workbook, you should have a fully functional "Hidden Objects" game - not just a copy of my game, but your very own product using your own gaming assets. There is a supporting website where you can download the bonus content included with your workbook's purchase.
This extraordinarily comprehensive guide will teach you how to:
- Use the Phaser JS Gaming Framework either v2.x.x or v3.16+.
- How to integrate "Hidden Object" game mechanics into other game genres such as Detective adventure and spy stories!
- Use your game as a "Progressive Web Application" or "Single Page Web Application" for any device.
- Analyze current business demand for this game's genre, how and where to deploy it.
- Automatically generate various game board features.
If you have any feedback or suggestions please join our email listing or participate in the forum for this course!
- Supporting website
About this Workbook
- Links and References
- Workbook Content
How to Read & Use this workbook:
- Viewing this eBook:
- Who should use this workbook?
- Your newly obtained skills…
(“Headless”) Game Design System™
- Business Product Management: Books
- Business Product Development: Online Courses
- “Making Browser Games” Series - online Courses
- Game Programming Course
- “Walk-Thru Tutorial Series” - Course Series
- Game Recipes™ & Instruction Guides Series
- Distribution Permission
Making HTML5 Games
1 Introduction to Game Design
- 1.1 Game Genre Defined
- 1.2 Game Tools & Generators
- 1.3 References From
2 Standard Project Setup
- 2.1 Standardized File Structure
- 2.2 Barebones Set-up
- 2.3 Web Server Required - Batteries not included!
3 Starting a Game Project
3.1 Step 0: Review your competition and their games
- Game Examples
- Cashing In with “Hidden Object” Games
- 3.2 Step 1: Create your “front-door”
3.3 Step 2. Create your “Game Shell” & Phases
- Network Impact
- Gamer’s Local Activity
3.4 Select a JS Format
- ES5 Format
- ES6+ Format as “FAT Arrow” Function
- ES6+ Format as “Phaser.Class”
- ES6+ Format as “Phaser.Scene”
- 3.1 Step 0: Review your competition and their games
- 1 Introduction to Game Design
Part II: Making “Hidden Objects” Browser Games
4 Hidden Objects — Core Game Construction
- 4.1 Game Project Overview
- 4.2 Our Goal
4.3 Hidden Objects Genre Description
- Historical background?
- 4.4 Game Mechanics (GM) - Logic & Rules
4.5 Game Mechanics (GM) - Data Structure
- Deeper Dive: Replayability
- 4.6 Game Recipe™ Featured Ingredients
- 4.7 Step 3a: Create “Play.js”
- 4.8 Step 3b: Create Supporting functions.
5 Phaser Code Review
5.1 Method #1: HTML5 Conversion into Phaser Framework.
- Step 1: Project Preparation
- Step 2: Project Refactoring
- Step 3: Project Plan
- Deeper Dive: Better Location Selections
- Deeper Dive: Making Phaser v3.16+ Graphics “clickable”
- Deeper Dive: Making Phaser v2.x.x Graphics “clickable”
- Deeper Dive: WebGL Foundations
5.2 Method #2: ActionScript into Phaser Framework.
- D.R.Y. Speed Limit - 5 GPH (Games Per Hour)!
5.3 Method #3: Winx Quests.
- Flash Demo
5.4 Method #4 (for Adults): “Find My Flaws”
- Flash Demos
- Microsoft Office to the Rescue!
5.5 Method #5 - “Find the Difference” Construction
- Phaser v3.16+ Resources
- Phaser v2.x.x Resources
- Why not do what others are doing?
- Step 1: Project Preparation
- Deeper Dive: Project Preparations
- Step 2: Create your standard game shell scenes
- Step 3: Project Plan & flowchart
- 5.1 Method #1: HTML5 Conversion into Phaser Framework.
6 Game Shell - The CMS!
- 6.1 Generic
- 6.2 Generic Boot.js
- 6.3 Generic Preload.js
- 6.4 Generic Splash.js or Language.js
6.5 Generic Menu.js
- Sample CMS page — Credits.js
- Deeper Dive: Using JAMStack as an SSG …
- Deeper Dive: Static Site Generators (SSG)
- 6.6 Inside each Game Phase
- 7 Plug-in Enhancements
- 8 Conclusion
- 4 Hidden Objects — Core Game Construction
Game Distribution & Marketing
- Introduction: 8-Step Deployment Method.
- Book Review Protocol
- Tell the world about your game!
- Game Distribution & Marketing
- More Resources
- Appendix: Making Phaser 3D Games!
Appendix: “How to Start a WebSocket”
- Testing Your Browser
WebSocket Protocol Handshake
- Deeper Dive: WebSocket API
Sample Source Code: Client-side WebSocket
Step #1: Game
- Step #2: Generate Event handlers
- Step #1: Game
- MMoG Protection
- Appendix: Phaser Plugins
- Other resources:
- Selling your Game Assets
JS OLOO - Modern Game Development Method
- Deeper Dive: JS Delegation (aka “Inheritance”?)
- The old way
- Objects Linking to Other Objects (OLOO)
- Compare your code
- Exercise Lesson 9:
- Game Singletons
- Deeper Dive: Object Manipulation objects in ES5/6
- Lesson Summary
- Resource References:
Answers to Exercises
- JS OLOO - Modern Game Development Method
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.