Making Memory Matching Browser Games
Making Memory Matching Browser Games
Creating "Concentration" Game Mechanics for Phaser.js Gaming Frameworks v3.x.x & v2.x.x
About the Book
5 General Game Licenses are included in this book - a savings of $300 if purchased separately!
Discover how to create online Memory Matching games using the methods in this single chapter from the Phaser Game Starter Kit Collection. When you finish these tutorials and bonus courses, you will have a production pipeline ready to create as many different "Memory Matching" games as your imagination can dream of!
This is a "mega-book" with 5 different types of Memory Matching and a MahJong game prototype. Two games were written in Phaser v3.16+ - an RPG Math Game for "pre-schoolers" and a New Age "Simple Shaman™". Two games were written in Phaser v2.x.x from the Mozart Music Match Suite - an audio "hidden pairs" memory game, and a "music motif" (sequence memory) game, and a "single-player" MahJong prototype game in both Phaser v2.x.x and v3.16+ APIs.
Included with your purchase, you'll also get EULAs, bonus content, download examples, and source code references on how to do every single thing in this game design workbook, so you can copy and paste any examples into your own productions and then modify those resources for your own purposes.
I would like to guide you in creating several styles of Memory Matching in Pairs - both hidden and open - and Sequence Memory game mechanics. We will use these game mechanics, mechanisms and the development methods discussed from the Phaser Game Prototypes. By the end of this workbook, you should have several fully functional Memory Matching game - not just a copy of my games, but your very own products using your own gaming assets. There is a supporting website where you can download the bonus content included with your workbook's purchase.
This comprehensive guide will teach you how to:
- Use the Phaser JS Gaming Framework as either v2.x.x or v3.16+.
- How to integrate "Memory Matching" game mechanics into other game genres such as educational, math, MahJong, and 2-Player or Artificial Intelligence bots!
- Deploy your game(s) as a "Progressive Web Application" or "Single Page Web Application" for any device.
- Analyze current business demand for this game's genre, how and where to deploy it and what others have done.
- Automatically generate various dynamic game boards.
If you have any feedback or suggestions please join our email listing or participate in the forum for this course!
- Supporting website
About this Workbook
- Links and References
- Workbook Content
How to Read & Use this workbook:
- Viewing this eBook:
- Who should use this workbook?
- Your newly obtained skills…
Game Design System™
- Game Studio - Book Series
- Game Studio - Online Courses
- “Making Browser Games” - Books Series
- “Making Browser Games” Series - online Courses
- Programming Courses
- “Walk-Thru Tutorial” Series - Online Courses
- Distribution Permission
Making HTML5 Games
1 Introduction to Game Design
- 1.1 Game Genre Defined
- 1.2 Game Tools & Generators
- 1.3 References From
2 Standard Project Setup
- 2.1 Standardized File Structure
- 2.2 Barebones Set-up
- 2.3 Web Server Required - Batteries not included!
3 Starting a Game Project
3.1 Step 0: Review your competition and their games
- Game Examples
- 3.2 Step 1: Create your “front-door”
3.3 Step 2. Create your “Game Shell” & Phases
- Network Impact
- Gamer’s Local Activity
3.4 Select a JS Format
- ES5 Format
- ES6+ Format as “FAT Arrow” Function
- ES6+ Format as “Phaser.Class”
- ES6+ Format as “Phaser.Scene”
- 3.1 Step 0: Review your competition and their games
- 1 Introduction to Game Design
Part II: Making “Memory” Browser Games
4 General Design Considerations
- 4.1 Game Mechanics (GM) - Data Structure
4.2 Game Mechanics (GM) - Logic, & Rules
- General Game Procedures
4.3 MahJong - “Matching Open Pairs”
- MahJong Rule Variations
- “52 Card Pick-up”
4.4 Memory Matching “Hidden Pairs”
- “Hidden Pairs” Rule Variations
4.5 Memory Matching “in Sequence”
- Clones & Competitors
- Sequence Logic
5 Memory Matching — Core Game Construction
- 5.1 Game Project Overview
- 5.2 Our Goal
- 5.3 “Mega-Chapter” - 5 Available Games
5.4 Memory Matching Genre Description
- Deeper Dive: “Due Diligence in Gaming Research”
- Deeper Dive: Audio Games
- 5.5 Game Recipe™ Featured Ingredients
- 5.6 Step 3a: Create “Play.js”
- 5.7 Step 3b: Create Supporting functions.
- 5.8 Conclusion
- 4 General Design Considerations
Part III: Code Review
6 MahJong — “Matching Open Pairs”
6.1 Simple MahJong Prototypes — Phaser v2 & III!
- Play Phaser III Demonstrations
- Play Phaser v2.x.x Demonstrations
- Download v2.x.x Project files
- Download Phaser III Project files
- 6.2 Booting & Loading (Phaser III stage 1)
6.3 Main.js (Phaser III stage 1)
- Defining Tile Metadata
6.4 Play.js (Phaser III stage 1)
- Shuffling & Randomized Deployment
- Creating Tiles
- Selecting Tiles (Phaser III stage 1)
- Tile Selection & Validation (Phaser III stage 1)
- 6.5 3D Layout Prototype (Phaser v2.x.x stage 1)
- 6.1 Simple MahJong Prototypes — Phaser v2 & III!
- 6 MahJong — “Matching Open Pairs”
Phaser v3.16+ Code Review
7 Game #1 - “Hidden Pairs”
- 7.1 Game Description
- 7.2 Main.js Overview
- 7.3 Play.js — Overview
7.4 Phaser Essential Functions
- “Play Phase” Variables — Lines 46 to 61
preload— Lines 72 to 95
create— Lines 95 to 315
update— Lines 318 to 345
7.5 Game Mechanisms & Supporting Functions
checkTilesLines 356 to 465
decreaseTimerLines 469 to 490
getRandomLines 491 to 501
resetGTLines 502 to 535
showTilesLines 536 to 605
stopWatchTimer(optional) Lines 606 to 628
Tiles(alternate) Lines 629 to 686
8 Game #2 - “Matching Sequence”
- 8.1 Game Description
8.2 Design Consideration: “Separation of Concerns”
- Managing Player Input & Validation
- Managing Panel Displays
- Project Development Tools
- Deeper Dive: Experiments with Polygons
- Deeper Dive: Callbacks & Events
- Deeper Dive: Making Phaser v3.16+ Graphics “clickable”
- Deeper Dive: WebGL Foundations
- Summary: Design Option #1 graphics
8.3 Menu.js Overview - animated “
8.4 Main.js Overview
- Game Security
- Revealing too much, too soon!
- 8.5 Play.js Overview
8.6 Phaser Essential Functions
preload— Lines 105 to 137
create— 138 to 368
- Innovation Experiment — Panel Animations
update— Lines 371 to 414
- Play.js —
8.7 Game Mechanisms & Supporting Functions
getRandomLines 423 to 431
gIntroLines 432 to 453
moveOffLines 454 to 460
Play.js — Optional
playerSequenceLines 461 to 503
releasedLines 504 to 546
restartLines 547 to 561
selectedLines 562 to 572
setUpLines 573 to 592
simonSequenceLines 593 to 618
- Play.js —
- 8.8 Game #2 Conclusion
- 7 Game #1 - “Hidden Pairs”
Phaser v2.x.x Code Review
9 Game #3 - “Hidden Pairs”
- 9.1 Play.js
10 Game #4 - Matching Sequence
10.1 Play.js — Overview
- Deeper Dive: Making Phaser v2.x.x Graphics “clickable”
- 10.2 Play.js – Lines 36 to 203 Create Function:
- 10.3 Play.js – Lines 205 to 224 Update function
- 10.4 Play.js – Lines 230 to 400
10.5 Play.js – Lines 384 to 396
10.6 Play.js – Lines 240 to 243
10.7 Play.js – Lines 244 to 306
- 10.8 Play.js – Lines 307 to 324 restart function
10.9 Play.js – Lines 325 to 360
10.10 Play.js – Lines 361 to 382
- 10.1 Play.js — Overview
- 9 Game #3 - “Hidden Pairs”
Auxiliary Business Functions
11 Game Shell - The CMS!
- 11.1 Generic
- 11.2 Generic Boot.js
- 11.3 Generic Preload.js
- 11.4 Generic Splash.js or Language.js
11.5 Generic Menu.js
- Sample CMS page — Credits.js
- Deeper Dive: Using JAMStack as an SSG …
- Deeper Dive: Static Site Generators (SSG)
- 11.6 Inside each Game Phase
- 12 Plug-in Enhancements
- 13 Conclusion
- 14 Bonus Development Content
- 11 Game Shell - The CMS!
14.1 Game Distribution & Marketing
- Introduction: 8-Step Deployment Method.
- 14.2 Book Review Protocol
- 14.3 Tell the world about your game!
- 14.1 Game Distribution & Marketing
- Additional Content Appendices
- Other resources:
- Selling your Game Assets
- Appendix: Making WebXR games!
- Appendix: Online Game Development
- Appendix: Phaser III Plugins
Appendix: “How to Start a WebSocket”
- Testing Your Browser
WebSocket Protocol Handshake
- Deeper Dive: WebSocket API
Sample Source Code: Client-side WebSocket
Step #1: Game
- Step #2: Generate Event handlers
- Step #1: Game
- Deeper Dive: JS Delegation (aka “Inheritance”?)
- The old way
- Objects Linking to Other Objects (OLOO)
- Compare your code
- Exercise Lesson 9:
- Game Singletons
- Deeper Dive: Object Manipulation objects in ES5/6
- Lesson Summary
- Resource References:
- More Resources
Answers to Exercises
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...