Making "Headless" Multiplayer Games
Making "Headless" Multiplayer Games
Creating "Content-as-a-Service" Multiplayer Games Using a 5-Ring Architecture
About the Book
- Part I leads you through the world of networks, business consideration, MMoG analysis and setting up your Game Studio Workshop. I have 40 years of networking career experience in highly sensitive (i.e., Government Embassies) data communications. I am a certified Cisco Academy Instructor and have taught networking, networking security, game design/development, and software engineering since 2006 at the college level.
- Part II Guides you into Multi-player Online Game architecture contrasted to a normal single-player games. This lays the foundation for Multi-Player Game Prototypes and reviews a missing aspect in current MMoG development not seen in many online tutorials and example code.
- Part III contains several chapters focused on production and development for both the client-side code, client-proxy, server-side code, Content-as-a-Service (CaaS), "headless game design" and MMoG applications. This content sets the foundation for what many Phaser tutorials and Phaser Starter-Kits on the market today overlook and never tell you! Upon completion of Part III, you will have your own bespoke MMoG with integrated micro-service, and if you choose, web workers and block-chain.
- Part IV (Bonus Content) This section includes proprietary Game Rule Books and EULA source code included as a part of your book's purchase. It is also available separately at http://renown-games.com/shop.
B.S. Computer Science & Electrical and Electronics Engineering, University of Maryland (Verified Purchase & read)
The author knows his stuff about networking technologies. So this book presents a wealth of info on how to connect game clients and servers over networks. It's a bit too deep for some readers! But for the more practically minded, it advocates recent technologies and provides a lot of links to toolkits, libraries, and other tutorials. Many gaming how-to books give the impression that the author wants to make a quick buck, but this book feels like the author genuinely wants to make us smarter.
- Supporting website
About this Workbook:
- Viewing the Source Code
- Links and References
- Who should use this workbook?
- Your newly obtained skills…
Game Design System™
- Game Studio - Book Series
- Game Studio - Online Courses
- “Making Browser Games” - Books Series
- “Making Browser Games” Series - online Courses
- Programming Courses
- “Walk-Thru Tutorial” Series - Online Courses
- Distribution Permission
- Part I: Network Concepts and Design
- Part II: MMoG Architecture
- Part III: Production & Development
Part III: Production & Development
- 1 Client-side Tutorial
2 Server-side Tutorial
- 2.1 Chapter Summary
3 MMoG App Engine Servers
- 3.1 Learning from others
- 3.2 Chapter References
4 Walk-through Tutorial: SCA Virtual Trainer™
- 4.1 Design Option A: (External “Walk-Through Tutorial”)
- 4.2 Design Option B: (External “Walk-Through Tutorial”)
- 4.3 “Rock, Paper, Scissors” Game Mechanics
- 4.4 Bots?
- 4.5 Simple 2-Player Remote Games
5 Walk-through Tutorial: Rulers of Renown™
- 5.1 Design Option A: (External “Walk-Through Tutorial”)
- 5.2 Design Option B: (External “Walk-Through Tutorial”)
5.3 Review MMoG Management Objects
- Code Sample
- 6 Walk-through Tutorial: War Lord Tourney™
- 7 Walk-through Tutorial: Legends of Renown Deeds™
8 Walk-through Tutorial: Blood Pit II™ (2-player)
- Required Original Download Files
- Live Online Example:
- Preparation Assumptions
- REST Selection Justification
- Design Option Paths
- 8.1 Common Design Foundation
8.2 Creating a MMoG REST API
- Step #1 Setting up a demonstration
- Step #2 The URLs
- Step #3 The Code
- Step #4 Database Models
- Step #5 API Security Considerations
8.3 Interacting with Horizontal Services
- Different REST Interactions Methods
- Social Services Interactions
- 8.4 Conclusion
- 8.5 Resources
- Additional Appendices
- Other resources:
- Selling your Game Assets
- Appendix: Online Game Development
- Appendix: Making WebXR Games!
- Appendix: Phaser III Plugins
Appendix: “How to Start a WebSocket”
- Testing Your Browser
WebSocket Protocol Handshake
- Deeper Dive: WebSocket API
Sample Source Code: Client-side WebSocket
Step #1: Game
- Step #2: Generate Event handlers
- Step #1: Game
- Deeper Dive: JS Delegation (aka “Inheritance”?)
- The old way
- Objects Linking to Other Objects (OLOO)
- Compare your code
- Exercise Lesson 9:
- Game Singletons
- Deeper Dive: Object Manipulation objects in ES5/6
- Lesson Summary
- Resource References:
- More Resources
Answers to Exercises
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Introductory Statistics with Randomization and SimulationMine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Christopher Barr, OpenIntro, and David Diez
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science, that introduces inference using randomization and simulation while covering traditional methods.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro, so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using our books in the classroom.
More resources: openintro.org.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Java OOP Done RightAlan Mellor
Object Oriented Programming is still a great way to create clean, maintainable code. But only if you use it right.
This book gives you 25 years of OO best practice, ready to use.
You'll learn to design objects behaviour-first, use TDD to help, then confidently apply Design Patterns, SOLID principles and Refactoring to make clean, crafted code.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Discrete Mathematics for Computer ScienceAlexander Shen, Alexander S. Kulikov, Vladimir Podolskii, and Aleksandr Golovnev
This book supplements the DM for CS Specialization at Coursera and contains many interactive puzzles, autograded quizzes, and code snippets. They are intended to help you to discover important ideas in discrete mathematics on your own. By purchasing the book, you will get all updates of the book free of charge when they are released.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals