Advise, Influence, and Serve Clients for Mutual Profit
Advise, Influence, and Serve Clients for Mutual Profit
Become a Successful Consultant
About the Book
You want to become a consultant. But, not one of those consultants on the verge of failure---you want to succeed. Learn how to create a successful consulting business, regardless of what success means to you. You'll support and serve your clients, and create a life that fulfills you.
- About this Early Release
Part 1: Organize Yourself for Success
1. Define Your Success
- 1.1 Define Your Why
- 1.2 Who Are Your Ideal Clients?
- 1.3 What Work Will You Choose?
- 1.4 Define Your Personal Values
- 1.5 What Does Success Look Like For You?
- 1.6 Assess Your Attitude
- 1.7 Now Try This to Define Your Success
2. Manage Your Calendar
- 2.1 Manage Your Actions
- 2.2 Work in Short Timeboxes
- 2.3 Manage Unplanned Work
- 2.4 Plan with Your Board and Calendar
- 2.5 Reflect Daily on Your Work
- 2.6 Reflect Weekly on Your Work
- 2.7 Schedule Time to Learn and Market
- 2.8 Now Try This to Manage Your Calendar
3. Define Your Unique Value
- 3.1 Understand Your Skills
- 3.2 Non-Technical Skills
- 3.3 Inventory Your Skills
- 3.4 Articulate Your Value
- 3.5 Assess Each of Your Jobs
- 3.6 Choose Which Skills To Reinforce
- 3.7 Maintain Your Self-Esteem
- 3.8 Define the Problems You Solve
- 3.9 Now Try This to Recognize Your Value
4. Start Your Business
- 4.1 Define Your Web Presence and Email
- 4.2 Create a Minimum Website
- 4.3 Select an Email List Provider
- 4.4 Start your Social Media Presence
- 4.5 Decide on a Business Phone Number
- 4.6 Open a Business Checking Account
- 4.7 File Appropriate Business Paperwork
- 4.8 Create Your Organized and Comfortable Place of Business
- 4.9 Assess Your Insurance Needs
- 4.10 Use a Printer with Scanner Capabilities
- 4.11 Print Business Cards
- 4.12 Spend as Little as Possible on Infrastructure
- 4.13 Now Do This to Start Your Business
- 1. Define Your Success
5. Define Your Business Model
- 5.1 Define Your Consulting Strategy
- 5.2 Define Your Driving Force
- 5.3 Your Expertise Drives Your Business Model
- 5.4 Define Your Products and Services
- 5.5 Offer Products and Services Based on Your Desired Consulting Role
- 5.6 Are You a Contractor or Consultant?
- 5.7 Create Multiple Income Streams for Resilience
- 5.8 Build Resilience into Your Business Model
- 5.9 Assess Your Business Model Over Time
- 5.10 Now Do This for Your Business Model
6. Create Your Marketing Funnel
- 6.1 Build Relationships Across Your Network
- 6.2 Learn How to Use Content Marketing
- 6.3 Recognize the Buyer
- 6.4 Build Your Marketing Muscle
- 6.5 Build Awareness for Your Expertise
- 6.6 Decide Your Mix of Marketing Activities
- 6.7 Ways to Use Active Marketing
- 6.8 Social Media Rarely Attracts Clients
- 6.9 Handle Social Media Harassment
- 6.10 Spend a Day Each Week on Content Marketing
- 6.11 Now Try This to Build Your Marketing Funnel via Expertise
7. Attract Clients with Expertise
- 7.1 Show Your Expertise in Your Newsletter
- 7.2 Write Blogs to Attract New People to Your Funnel
- 7.3 Showcase Expertise in Other Writing
- 7.4 Showcase Your Expertise as a Speaker
- 7.5 Interplay of Speaking, Writing, Consulting
- 7.6 Public Speaking and Writing Makes You an Expert
- 7.7 Write a Bio to Attract Clients
- 7.8 Draft Your First Bio
- 7.9 Now Try This to Attract Clients with Your Expertise
8. Create the Client Relationship
- 8.1 Create Empathy with Your Client
- 8.2 Learn with a Discovery Call
- 8.3 Explore Possibilities in the Discovery Call
- 8.4 Advise the Client
- 8.5 Gain Agreement Before You Write a Proposal
- 8.6 Influence the Client
- 8.7 Decline to Work With the Client
- 8.8 Respect the Client
- 8.9 Now Do This for Your Client Relationships
9. Create Successful Proposals
- 9.1 Start with This Proposal Template
- 9.2 Use Time as Your Advantage
- 9.3 Fix Common Proposal Problems
- 9.4 Decline the Work When It Doesn’t Fit
- 9.5 Create a Retainer Agreement
- 9.6 Track the Proposal Process
- 9.7 Gain Awareness of Organizational Changes
- 9.8 Wait for a PO to Start
- 9.9 Now Try This for Proposals
10. Set Reasonable Fees
- 10.1 Money Buys You Freedom
- 10.2 What’s Your Time Worth to You?
- 10.3 Value Your Time
- 10.4 Value-Based Fees
- 10.5 Higher Fees Mean Better Clients
- 10.6 Make Sure You’re Happy with Your Fee
- 10.7 Set Fees for Writing and Speaking
- 10.8 Now Try This to Set Your Reasonable Fees
- 5. Define Your Business Model
11. Manage Your Money
- 11.1 Understand Cash Flow
- 11.2 Manage Your Income Streams
- 11.3 Track Revenue, Not Units
- 11.4 Write the Checks Yourself
- 11.5 Decide How You Will Pay Yourself
- 11.6 Don’t Let Your Clients Manage Your Money
- 11.7 Evaluate Requests for Your Work
- 11.8 How I Think About Hiring People
- 11.9 Now Try This to Manage Your Money
12. Manage Your Intellectual Property
- 12.1 Read All Contracts
- 12.2 Understand Your Property Rights
- 12.3 License Your IP
- 12.4 Repurpose Your Content
- 12.5 Now Try This to Manage Your IP
13. Collaborate with Other Consultants
- 13.1 Refer Other Consultants
- 13.2 Write With Other Consultants
- 13.3 Speak With Other Consultants
- 13.4 Deliver Client Work with Others
- 13.5 Create a Partnership for Specific Outcomes
- 13.6 Agree on a Contract
- 13.7 Collaboration Traps
- 13.8 Now Try This for Collaboration
14. Maintain Your Health
- 14.1 Start Your Business with Money Health
- 14.2 Enlist Your Family for Support
- 14.3 Build Your Symmathesy Support System
- 14.4 Plan Your Physical Health
- 14.5 Assess Your Emotional Health
- 14.6 Now Try This to Manage Your Health
15. Adapt and Evolve Your Successful Practice
- 15.1 Trap: Marketing is Separate from Consulting
- 15.2 Trap: You Need to Take Credit for Your Clients’ Successes
- 15.3 Trap: Anyone Can Consult
- 15.4 Trap: You’ll Replace Your Salary Fast
- 15.5 Trap: You Need More Money
- 15.6 Trap: You Work for Money, Not Satisfaction
- 15.7 Trap: You no Longer Respect Your Client’s Problems
- 15.8 Evolve Your Practice Purposefully
- 15.9 Consulting Is Not for You—Yet
16. Worksheets You Might Find Helpful
- 16.1 Active Marketing Discussion Points
- Annotated Bibliography
- More from Johanna
- 11. Manage Your Money
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...