Advise, Influence, and Serve Clients for Mutual Profit
Advise, Influence, and Serve Clients for Mutual Profit
Become a Successful Consultant
About the Book
You want to become a consultant. But, not one of those consultants on the verge of failure---you want to succeed. Learn how to create a successful consulting business, regardless of what success means to you. You'll support and serve your clients, and create a life that fulfills you.
- About this Early Release
Part 1: Organize Yourself for Success
1. Define Your Success
- 1.1 Define Your Why
- 1.2 Who Are Your Ideal Clients?
- 1.3 What Work Will You Choose?
- 1.4 Define Your Personal Values
- 1.5 What Does Success Look Like For You?
- 1.6 Assess Your Attitude
- 1.7 Now Try This to Define Your Success
2. Manage Your Calendar
- 2.1 Manage Your Actions
- 2.2 Work in Short Timeboxes
- 2.3 Manage Unplanned Work
- 2.4 Plan with Your Board and Calendar
- 2.5 Reflect Daily on Your Work
- 2.6 Reflect Weekly on Your Work
- 2.7 Schedule Time to Learn and Market
- 2.8 Now Try This to Manage Your Calendar
3. Define Your Unique Value
- 3.1 Understand Your Skills
- 3.2 Non-Technical Skills
- 3.3 Inventory Your Skills
- 3.4 Articulate Your Value
- 3.5 Assess Each of Your Jobs
- 3.6 Choose Which Skills To Reinforce
- 3.7 Maintain Your Self-Esteem
- 3.8 Define the Problems You Solve
- 3.9 Now Try This to Recognize Your Value
4. Start Your Business
- 4.1 Define Your Web Presence and Email
- 4.2 Create a Minimum Website
- 4.3 Select an Email List Provider
- 4.4 Start your Social Media Presence
- 4.5 Decide on a Business Phone Number
- 4.6 Open a Business Checking Account
- 4.7 File Appropriate Business Paperwork
- 4.8 Create Your Organized and Comfortable Place of Business
- 4.9 Assess Your Insurance Needs
- 4.10 Use a Printer with Scanner Capabilities
- 4.11 Print Business Cards
- 4.12 Spend as Little as Possible on Infrastructure
- 4.13 Now Do This to Start Your Business
- 1. Define Your Success
5. Define Your Business Model
- 5.1 Define Your Consulting Strategy
- 5.2 Define Your Driving Force
- 5.3 Your Expertise Drives Your Business Model
- 5.4 Define Your Products and Services
- 5.5 Offer Products and Services Based on Your Desired Consulting Role
- 5.6 Are You a Contractor or Consultant?
- 5.7 Create Multiple Income Streams for Resilience
- 5.8 Build Resilience into Your Business Model
- 5.9 Assess Your Business Model Over Time
- 5.10 Now Do This for Your Business Model
6. Create Your Marketing Funnel
- 6.1 Build Relationships Across Your Network
- 6.2 Learn How to Use Content Marketing
- 6.3 Recognize the Buyer
- 6.4 Build Your Marketing Muscle
- 6.5 Build Awareness for Your Expertise
- 6.6 Decide Your Mix of Marketing Activities
- 6.7 Ways to Use Active Marketing
- 6.8 Social Media Rarely Attracts Clients
- 6.9 Handle Social Media Harassment
- 6.10 Spend a Day Each Week on Content Marketing
- 6.11 Now Try This to Build Your Marketing Funnel via Expertise
7. Attract Clients with Expertise
- 7.1 Show Your Expertise in Your Newsletter
- 7.2 Write Blogs to Attract New People to Your Funnel
- 7.3 Showcase Expertise in Other Writing
- 7.4 Showcase Your Expertise as a Speaker
- 7.5 Interplay of Speaking, Writing, Consulting
- 7.6 Public Speaking and Writing Makes You an Expert
- 7.7 Write a Bio to Attract Clients
- 7.8 Draft Your First Bio
- 7.9 Now Try This to Attract Clients with Your Expertise
8. Create the Client Relationship
- 8.1 Create Empathy with Your Client
- 8.2 Learn with a Discovery Call
- 8.3 Explore Possibilities in the Discovery Call
- 8.4 Advise the Client
- 8.5 Gain Agreement Before You Write a Proposal
- 8.6 Influence the Client
- 8.7 Decline to Work With the Client
- 8.8 Respect the Client
- 8.9 Now Do This for Your Client Relationships
9. Create Successful Proposals
- 9.1 Start with This Proposal Template
- 9.2 Use Time as Your Advantage
- 9.3 Fix Common Proposal Problems
- 9.4 Decline the Work When It Doesn’t Fit
- 9.5 Create a Retainer Agreement
- 9.6 Track the Proposal Process
- 9.7 Gain Awareness of Organizational Changes
- 9.8 Wait for a PO to Start
- 9.9 Now Try This for Proposals
10. Set Reasonable Fees
- 10.1 Money Buys You Freedom
- 10.2 What’s Your Time Worth to You?
- 10.3 Value Your Time
- 10.4 Value-Based Fees
- 10.5 Higher Fees Mean Better Clients
- 10.6 Make Sure You’re Happy with Your Fee
- 10.7 Set Fees for Writing and Speaking
- 10.8 Now Try This to Set Your Reasonable Fees
- 5. Define Your Business Model
11. Manage Your Money
- 11.1 Understand Cash Flow
- 11.2 Manage Your Income Streams
- 11.3 Track Revenue, Not Units
- 11.4 Write the Checks Yourself
- 11.5 Decide How You Will Pay Yourself
- 11.6 Don’t Let Your Clients Manage Your Money
- 11.7 Evaluate Requests for Your Work
- 11.8 How I Think About Hiring People
- 11.9 Now Try This to Manage Your Money
12. Manage Your Intellectual Property
- 12.1 Read All Contracts
- 12.2 Understand Your Property Rights
- 12.3 License Your IP
- 12.4 Repurpose Your Content
- 12.5 Now Try This to Manage Your IP
13. Collaborate with Other Consultants
- 13.1 Refer Other Consultants
- 13.2 Write With Other Consultants
- 13.3 Speak With Other Consultants
- 13.4 Deliver Client Work with Others
- 13.5 Create a Partnership for Specific Outcomes
- 13.6 Agree on a Contract
- 13.7 Collaboration Traps
- 13.8 Now Try This for Collaboration
14. Maintain Your Health
- 14.1 Start Your Business with Money Health
- 14.2 Enlist Your Family for Support
- 14.3 Build Your Symmathesy Support System
- 14.4 Plan Your Physical Health
- 14.5 Assess Your Emotional Health
- 14.6 Now Try This to Manage Your Health
15. Adapt and Evolve Your Successful Practice
- 15.1 Trap: Marketing is Separate from Consulting
- 15.2 Trap: You Need to Take Credit for Your Clients’ Successes
- 15.3 Trap: Anyone Can Consult
- 15.4 Trap: You’ll Replace Your Salary Fast
- 15.5 Trap: You Need More Money
- 15.6 Trap: You Work for Money, Not Satisfaction
- 15.7 Trap: You no Longer Respect Your Client’s Problems
- 15.8 Evolve Your Practice Purposefully
- 15.9 Consulting Is Not for You—Yet
16. Worksheets You Might Find Helpful
- 16.1 Active Marketing Discussion Points
- Annotated Bibliography
- More from Johanna
- 11. Manage Your Money
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
While most enterprises are moving to the cloud these days, many initiatives are driven by wishes or promises rather than a sound strategy. Harvested from half a decade of cloud migrations, this book shares frameworks, strategies, and anecdotes for a structured and decision-centric path to cloud success.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Complete Scala Bundle
3 BooksScala is a general-purpose programming language and it's getting extremely popular these days. Some say that learning Scala could be a challenging task. My experience, however, suggests that this is actually a myth that has very little to do with reality. With the right approach, learning Scala can be easy, fun and rewarding.The first book from...
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...