Free Your Inner Nonfiction Writer
Free Your Inner Nonfiction Writer
Educate, Influence, and Entertain Your Readers
About the Book
Free your inner nonfiction writer as you learn to write fast and well.
Do you want to write nonfiction better and faster? But when you try to write, you feel stuck, or you don't like what you wrote, or you're not sure why anyone would want to read your words.
You can enjoy writing, especially when you integrate thinking and learning as you write. And, when you wait to edit until the end, you can write faster. Learn how to educate, influence, and entertain people with your writing.
You'll learn how to:
- Separate writing, which includes thinking and learning, from editing.
- Focus on your readers, so you write what they need to know.
- Face your writing fears.
- Find your author voice, so you sound like you.
- Be ready to write, so you never have to face a blank page.
- Empathize with your readers to write about what matters to them.
- How to edit just enough.
- Evolve your writing system.
Buy this book and learn how to write nonfiction to educate, influence, and entertain.
Table of Contents
1. Write to Think and Learn
- 1.1 Writing Captures Words
- 1.2 Reset Your Writing Rules
- 1.3 Nonfiction Writers Write at Several Levels
- 1.4 Fear Paralyzes Writers
- 1.5 Manage Your Imposter Syndrome
- 1.6 Try Freewriting
- 1.7 Evolve Your Writing System
- 1.8 Practice Writing to Think and Learn
2. Write Fast to Write Well
- 2.1 Create Your Idea Bank and Fieldstones
- 2.2 Write What Interests You
- 2.3 Finish What You Start
- 2.4 Cycle for Clarity
- 2.5 See How to Write Fast and Well
- 2.6 Write Clean to Maintain Momentum
- 2.7 Practice Correct Spelling
- 2.8 Practice Writing Faster to Write Well
3. Write for Your Ideal Reader
- 3.1 Empathize with Your Readers
- 3.2 Write About What Matters
- 3.3 Organize with the Rule of Three
- 3.4 Hook The Reader with a Problem
- 3.5 Structure Your Piece with Logic
- 3.6 End With a Reminder of the Start
- 3.7 Write In Any Order
- 3.8 Practice Writing for Your Ideal Reader
4. Edit Just Enough
- 4.1 Edit When You’re Still Interested
- 4.2 Maintain Your Author Voice
- 4.3 Edit as Little as Possible
- 4.4 Review Your Logic
- 4.5 Maintain Your Author Voice
- 4.6 Add References
- 4.7 Finalize Your Title
- 4.8 Practice Editing Just Enough
5. Choose the Feedback You Want
- 5.1 What Will Feedback Offer You?
- 5.2 Never Ask for Interim Feedback
- 5.3 When Feedback Makes Sense
- 5.4 Clarify the Value of Peer Review
- 5.5 Consider the Perfection Game
- 5.6 Use These Questions for Feedback
- 5.7 Offer Feedback with Empathy
- 5.8 Beware of Reviewer-Focused Feedback
- 5.9 Build Your Peer Community
- 5.10 Create a Writing Community
- 5.11 Practice Your Feedback Choices
6. Publish Your Work
- 6.1 You Own Your Writing
- 6.2 Your Employer Owns Your Writing
- 6.3 Write as Work for Hire
- 6.4 Write for Publishers Who Don’t Want Your Copyright
- 6.5 How to Work with a Professional Editor
- 6.6 Choose Your Publication Options
- 6.7 Recognize When Others Violate Your Copyright
- 6.8 Publish Widely
- 6.9 Practice Publishing Your Work
7. Help Yourself Succeed
- 7.1 Create Your Writing Environment
- 7.2 Count Your Words
- 7.3 Avoid Talking About Your Writing
- 7.4 Read Widely
- 7.5 Write With Others
- 7.6 Transform Your Perfection Rules
- 7.7 Watch for These Writing Traps
- 7.8 Last Words—For Now
- Annotated Bibliography
- More from Johanna
About the Publisher
This book is published on Leanpub by Practical Ink
Johanna Rothman's books on leanpub. Practical, frank, and often humorous tips you can put to work right now.
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them