Predicting the Unpredictable
Predicting the Unpredictable
Pragmatic Approaches to Estimating Project Schedule or Cost
About the Book
If you have trouble estimating cost or schedule for your projects, you are not alone. The question is this: who wants the estimate and why?
You might be able to use different words for your estimate. You might be able to report your estimate in a way that helps your managers realize the uncertainty of the estimate. Maybe you just need the team who’s doing the work to estimate.
Learn practical and pragmatic ways to estimate schedule or cost for your projects. Learn why most estimates are wrong, and how you can create some sanity about your estimates. Learn ways to present your estimates so people will accept them. And, when your estimate is wrong, learn what you can do.
- 1.1 Estimates Are Guesses or Predictions
- 1.2 Estimates Change
- 1.3 Estimates Expire
2. What Estimates Are
- 2.1 Provide an Accurate but Not Precise Estimate
3. Why Do We Estimate Anyway?
- 3.1 Why Do You Estimate?
- 3.2 Ask This Question Before You Estimate
4. Software is Learning, Not Construction
- 4.1 Inch-Pebbles or Small Stories Show Progress
- 4.2 Learn With Spikes
5. Think About Estimation
- 5.1 Estimating the Unknown: Dates or Budgets
- 5.2 Determine Your Degrees of Freedom
- 5.3 Insist on a Ranked Backlog
- 5.4 The Team Doing the Work Provides the Estimate
6. How to Estimate
- 6.1 Your First Best Bet: Make Your Stories and Chunks Small
- 6.2 Your Second Best Bet: SWAG and Refine
- 6.3 Collect Data
- 6.4 When You Have a Decreed Date
- 6.5 Wrap Up
- 6.6 Estimating a Program
- 6.7 Beware of These Program Estimation Traps
7. Rolling Wave Planning
- 7.1 Learn as the Project Proceeds
8. There Is No Correct Estimation Model
- 8.1 We Invent; We Don’t Repeat
9. But I Need to Know When the Project Will Be Done
- 9.1 What You Can Say to Managers Who Think They Need to Know
- 10. NoEstimate or Do Your Estimates Provide Value?
11. Use All Four Parts of Project Estimation
- 11.1 Part 1: Create an Initial Estimate
- 11.2 Part 2: Track Estimation Quality Factor to Understand the Project Estimate
- 11.3 Part 3: Use EQF to Manage Project Concerns
- 11.4 Part 4: Update Your Estimate as You Know More
12. Show Your Status and Update Your Estimate
- 12.1 Probabilistic Scheduling
- 13. Refocusing: 90% Done Is Not Almost Done
14. Future Fixes
- 14.1 Plan Ahead
- 14.2 Hindsight is 20-20
- 14.3 Track Your Estimates
- 14.4 Measure Bad Fixes
- 14.5 Manage Your Buffers
- 14.6 Incorporate Agility
Troubleshooting Your Estimation Problems
- 15. Avoid Multitasking
- 16. Avoid Student Syndrome
- 17. Estimation Units Predict Schedule Slippage
- 18. Edit Those Epics
- 19. What You Can Do For Estimation
- 20. Estimation Depends On…
- 21. Estimating Testing Time
22. Need to Learn More About the Work You’re Doing? Spike It!
- 22.1 How Does a Spike Work?
- 22.2 Spikes Are About Learning
- 22.3 What Happens to the Code at the End of the Spike?
- 22.4 “Use the Code As Is…”
- 22.5 How Many People Were Involved in the Learning?
23. Use Targets as Estimates
- 23.1 How to Use Targets
- 23.2 When the Target Is a Trap
- 24. How to Avoid Three Big Estimation Traps
- 25. Understanding Multitasking and the Cost of Delay on Estimation
26. What You Know About Estimation Now
- 26.1 Transition to an Agile Approach or an Incremental Approach for Your Projects
- 26.2 Make Your Features Small
- 26.3 Iterate on your Estimate
- 26.4 Don’t Multitask
- 26.5 Don’t Let Defects Dictate Your Estimate
- 26.6 Final Thoughts
- More from Johanna
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Thinking with TypesSandy Maguire
This book aims to be the comprehensive manual for type-level programming. It's about getting you from here to there---from a competent Haskell programmer to one who convinces the compiler to do their work for them.
11 BooksThe Quality Software Bundle is for managers, would-be managers, and any of us who find themselves being managed and confused. This comprehensive bundle covers the entire span of software development approaches, from hacking through waterfall, cascade, prototyping, Iterative enhancement, reusable code, off-the-shelf, to Agile teams. The bundle...
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...