Hiring Geeks That Fit
Hiring Geeks That Fit
About the Book
Do you want to hire great people? Not sure how? Read this book.
Knowledge workers---our geeks---are different from skill-based staff, which makes hiring great ones difficult. But whether you're a manger or team member, this is the single most important decision you can make due to its long-lasting impact.
Because great geeks adapt their knowledge to your context, one developer or technical manager is not interchangeable with another. Hiring the right geeks, the ones who fit your culture, requires you to analyze your culture, determine your problems and define the essential qualities you want in your candidates. Hiring Geeks That Fit removes the guesswork from the hiring process, reduces the risk for costly hiring mistakes... and allows you to find the absolute best person for the job.
- Understand your culture to build a strong hiring foundation.
- Develop the best hiring strategy.
- Analyze your open position. What's really essential?
- Develop effective ads for different mediums, such as social media and user groups.
- Develop behavior-description questions to differentiate the talkers from those who've actually performed work relevant to your needs.
- Use those questions in phone-screens, in-person interviews, and references.
- Treat candidates with respect, so even those you reject are potential referrals.
- Create great first-day hire experiences so your new hire doesn't keep looking...
And much more...
You, your team, and your organization will live with the long-term consequences of your hiring decision. Invest the time for you and your team in how to hire and interview will pay off fast.
Part 1: Manage Your Hiring Time
- 1 Develop Your Hiring Strategy
- 2 Analyze the Job
- 3 Write the Job Description
Part 2: Source and Select Candidates to Interview
- 4 Source Candidates
- 5 Develop Ads for Open Positions
- 6 Review Résumés
Part 3: Prepare to Interview Candidates
- 7 Develop Interview Questions and Techniques
- 8 Create and Use Phone-Screens
- 9 Plan and Conduct the In-Person Interview
- 10 Follow Up After the Interview
Part 4: Bring In the Candidate
- 11 Check References
- 12 Make an Offer the Candidate Will Accept
Part 5: Make the Most of Hiring Opportunities to Manage Uncertainty and Risk
- 13 Create a Great First Day
- 14 Hire Technical Managers
- 15 Move Forward
Part 6: Templates and More
- Appendix A: Templates to Use When Hiring Geeks That Fit
- More from Johanna
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.