Diving For Hidden Treasures
Last updated on 2016-03-28
About the Book
Does your organization value and rank projects based on estimation? Except for the shortest projects, estimation is often wrong. You don’t realize the value you planned when you wanted. How can you finish projects in time to realize their potential value?
Instead of estimation, consider using cost of delay to evaluate and rank projects. Cost of delay accounts for ways projects get stuck: multitasking, other projects not releasing on time, work queuing behind experts, excessive attention to code cleanliness, and management indecision to name several.
Once you know about cost of delay, you can decide what to do about it. You can stop the multitasking. You can eliminate the need for experts. You can reduce the number of projects and features in progress. You can use cost of delay to rank projects and work in your organization. Learn to use cost of delay to make better decisions for your project, program, or project portfolio.
- Why do we care about the value of the project portfolio?
Planning and Controlling Complex Projects
- Prediction is not possible
- Beyond Budgeting to the Rescue
- Applying Beyond Budgeting
- Why Cost is the Wrong Question for Evaluating Projects
- Estimation is Insufficient as a Basis for the Project Portfolio Evaluation
- A Focus on Continuous Value
- Cost of Delay Due to Not Shipping on Time
- Cost of Delay Due to Multitasking
- Cost of Delay Due to Experts
- Cost of Delay Due to Making Things Right
- Cost of Delay Due to Technical Debt
- Cost of Delay Due to Doing the Wrong Things
- Cost of Delay Due to Indecision
Cost of Delay Due to Not Starting
- Cost of Delay Due to Features in Progress
- Cost of Delay Due to Releasing Later
Cost of Delay due to Unsupportive Infrastructure
- Cost of Delay Due to Other Teams’ Delay
- Cost of Delay: Why You Should Care
Selecting a Ranking Method for Your Project Portfolio
- Ask This Question First
- Rank with points
- Rank with Risk
- Rank with Context
- Pairwise Comparison and Double Elimination
- Single elimination
- Use Your Mission and Values
- Ranking isn’t Forever
- Remember to Kill Projects
- More from Jutta
- More from Johanna
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.