About the Book
How can you be the best manager you can be?
If you've never seen excellent management, you might not know what "best" looks like—and that's a problem. You are not alone.
Modern management requires we first manage ourselves—and that might be the most challenging part of management. Based on research, backed up by personal stories, you'll see examples of unwise and excellent management. You can then choose from several options to improve your management results.
Through questions, stories, and proven options, learn how you can:
- Use the seven principles of modern management to create an environment where everyone can thrive.
- Recognize and avoid micromanagement.
- Support the people doing the work to solve more of their problems.
- Make time to think so you can be your best self.
- Trust the people you lead and serve.
- And, much more.
With its question and myth, each chapter offers you options to rethink how you manage yourself.
You'll see earn how common—but ill-advised—management practices prevent you from enabling the people you lead and serve.
Become a modern manager. Learn to manage yourself so you and the people you lead and serve can deliver the results everyone needs.
About the Author
Johanna Rothman, known as the “Pragmatic Manager,” offers frank advice for your tough problems. She helps leaders and teams do reasonable things that work. Equipped with that knowledge, they can then decide how to adapt their product development.
With her trademark practicality and humor, Johanna is the author of 18 books and hundreds of articles. Find the Pragmatic Manager, a monthly email newsletter, and her blogs at jrothman.com and createadaptablelife.com.
She is the author of these books:
- Modern Management Made Easy triad: Manage Yourself, Lead and Serve Others, Lead an Innovative Organization
- Become a Successful Consultant
- Write a Conference Proposal the Conference Wants and Accepts
- From Chaos to Successful Distributed Agile Teams: Collaborate to Deliver (with Mark Kilby)
- Create Your Successful Agile Project
- Agile and Lean Program Management: Scaling Collaboration Across the Organization
- Predicting the Unpredictable: Pragmatic Approaches to Estimating Cost or Schedule
- Diving for Hidden Treasures: Finding The Real Value in Your Project Portfolio (with Jutta Eckstein)
- Project Portfolio Tips: Twelve Ideas for Focusing on the Work You Need to Start & Finish
- Manage Your Job Search
- Hiring Geeks That Fit
- Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More Projects, 2nd ed.
- The 2008 Jolt Productivity award-winning Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
- Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management (with Esther Derby)
- Corrective Action for the Software Industry (with Denise Robitaille)
In addition, she is a contributor to:
- Sometime in Winter (a novella)