About the Book
How can you be the best manager you can be, especially under all the pressure you feel? If you've never seen excellent management, you might not know what "best" looks like—and that's a problem. You are not alone.
Great managers create an environment where people can do their best work. These excellent managers lead and serve others—not control them.
Based on research and backed up by personal stories, this book will show you how modern managers lead and serve others.
Through questions and stories, learn how you can:
- Use the seven principles of modern management to create an environment where the team functions as a unit.
- Create more capability in each person and as a team.
- Create an engaged team or workgroup.
- Create an environment to support people as they manage their careers and eliminate the need for performance reviews.
- Support teams as they can learn to manage themselves.
- And, much more.
With its question and myth, each chapter offers you options to rethink how you lead and serve others.
You'll see how common—but ill-advised—management practices prevent great business outcomes. Instead, learn how to lead and serve your teams so they can deliver products and services your customers will pay for and use.
Become a modern manager. Learn to lead and serve others to deliver the results everyone needs.
About the Author
Johanna Rothman, known as the “Pragmatic Manager,” offers frank advice for your tough problems. She helps leaders and teams do reasonable things that work. Equipped with that knowledge, they can then decide how to adapt their product development.
With her trademark practicality and humor, Johanna is the author of 20 books and hundreds of articles. Find the Pragmatic Manager, a monthly email newsletter, and her blogs at jrothman.com and createadaptablelife.com.
She is the author of these books:
- Project Lifecycles: How to Reduce Risks, Release Successful Products, and Increase Agility
- Successful Independent Consulting: Relationships That Focus on Mutual Benefit
- Modern Management Made Easy triad: Manage Yourself, Lead and Serve Others, Lead an Innovative Organization
- Successful Independent Consulting
- Free Your Inner Nonfiction Writer
- Write a Conference Proposal the Conference Wants and Accepts
- From Chaos to Successful Distributed Agile Teams: Collaborate to Deliver (with Mark Kilby)
- Create Your Successful Agile Project
- Agile and Lean Program Management: Scaling Collaboration Across the Organization
- Predicting the Unpredictable: Pragmatic Approaches to Estimating Cost or Schedule
- Diving for Hidden Treasures: Finding The Real Value in Your Project Portfolio (with Jutta Eckstein)
- Project Portfolio Tips: Twelve Ideas for Focusing on the Work You Need to Start & Finish
- Manage Your Job Search
- Hiring Geeks That Fit
- Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More Projects, 2nd ed.
- The 2008 Jolt Productivity award-winning Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
- Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management (with Esther Derby)
- Corrective Action for the Software Industry (with Denise Robitaille)
In addition, she is a contributor to:
- Sometime in Winter (a novella)