The Agile Self-assessment Game (English Book & Cards (Agile, Scrum, DevOps, Kanban, Business Agility))
This book is 80% complete
Last updated on 2018-07-23
About the Book
I'm updating the book, please give me feedback if you have read it!
Update: Now also available with English, Dutch, Spanish, Czech, or Polish cards!
This book explores the Agile Self-assessment Game, a card game that I created and that is now played by teams all over the world. Teams use it to reflect on their own interworking and to agree upon the next steps for their agile journey.
To play the game described in the book, please buy a package that includes the cards. Currently available are:
- Agile Self-assessment Game - English edition: The book (in English) with 52 basic Agile cards and expansions packs for Scrum (39 cards), Kanban (52 cards), DevOps (26 cards) and Business Agility (26 cards). Total of 195 English cards!
- Juego Autoevaluación Ágil - Spanish edition: The book (in English) with 52 basic Agile cards in Spanish and expansions packs in Spanish for Scrum (39 cards), Kanban (52 cards), DevOps (26 cards) and Business Agility (26 cards). Total of 195 Spanish cards!
- Agilní sebehodnotící hra - Czech edition: The book (in English) with 52 basic Agile cards in Czech and expansions packs in Czech for Scrum (39 cards), Kanban (52 cards), DevOps (26 cards) and Business Agility (26 cards). Total of 195 Czech cards!
- Gra Agile Self-Assessment - Polish edition: The book (in English) with 52 basic Agile cards in Polish and expansions packs in Polish for Scrum (39 cards), Kanban (52 cards), DevOps (26 cards) and Business Agility (26 cards). Total of 195 Polish cards!
- Agile Zelfevaluatie Kaarten - Dutch edition: The book (in English) with 52 basic Agile cards in Dutch and expansions packs in Dutch for Scrum (39 cards) and DevOps (26 cards). Total of 117 Dutch cards!
This is the first book specifically about Agile Self-assessments. In this book I explain what self-assessments are and why you would do them, and explore how to do them using the Agile Self-assessment Game. I'm also sharing experience stories from people who played the game.
This is a practical book with many techniques and ideas that you can apply in your specific situation. It aims to help you to support teams that want to improve and become fully self-organized.
I'm aiming this book at Scrum masters, agile coaches, consultants leading agile transformations, developers and testers, project managers, line managers, and CxOs; basically for anyone who is looking for an effective way to help their agile teams improve and increase the agility of their organization.
With plenty of ideas, suggestions, and practical cases on Agile Self-assessments, this book will help you to apply assessments and help teams to improve.
Additional cards can be bought in the Agile Games webshop.
More information can be found on the Agile Self-assessment Game website.
English Book & Cards (Agile, Scrum, DevOps, Kanban, Business Agility)
The Agile Self-assessment Game book with all 195 English cards: Agile, Scrum, Kanban, DevOps, and Business Agility (PDF format)
The Agile Self-assessment Game ebook without cards. Select a package with cards if you want to play the game.
Agile Zelfevaluatie Kaarten - English book & Dutch cards (Agile, Scrum, DevOps)
The Agile Self-assessment Game book in English with 117 Dutch cards: Agile, Scrum, DevOps (PDF format)
Juego Autoevaluación Ágil - English Book & Spanish Cards (Agile, Scrum, DevOps, Kanban, Business Agility)
The Agile Self-assessment Game book in English with all 195 Spanish cards: Agile, Scrum, Kanban, DevOps, and Business Agility (PDF format)
Agilní sebehodnotící hra - English Book & Czech Cards (Agile, Scrum, DevOps, Kanban, Business Agility)
The Agile Self-assessment Game book in English with all 195 Czech cards: Agile, Scrum, Kanban, DevOps, and Business Agility (PDF format)
Gra Agile Self-Assessment - English Book & Polish Cards (Agile, Scrum, DevOps, Kanban, Business Agility)
The Agile Self-assessment Game book in English with all 143 Polish cards: Agile, Scrum, DevOps, Kanban, and Business Agility (PDF format)
Agile Coach at ING Software Development Center
A fabulous game which helps the team to better understand where they are in their agile journey, generate some insight and determine what they can do next to improve.
Agile Coach at Accenture
I played the game and it was very helpful. We realized our agile maturity level, recognized actionable improvements and had great fun and insights!
Agile Coach & Founder at Nomad8
I liked the discussions the cards prompted: they surfaced a lot of things and we had great conversations.
Instructor at Harvard University Extension School
I played the game with my students. The benefits we got are a better understanding of what needs to be in place within the team and organization for successful agile. It’s fun and a good way to start productive conversations within the team.
Chief Agelist at Brandi Olson Consulting
Playing the game builds clarity and alignment on what Agile means to everyone on the team and helps team members meaningfully evaluate their agility.
Chief Developer at Empact Development
The game plays through quite easily and participants remarked that the exercise was quite valuable. We generated a ton of insights and even some concrete action items (which is relatively rare for this team).
Agile Coach at National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
It’s a great tool to use for a retrospective. The game engages the whole team and generates good discussion.
Agile consultant at Improve Quality Services
I have played the agile self-assessment with multiple teams. The participants had little experience with (serious) games, but the game was self-explaining and the teams had great fun playing. As the agile self-assessment is played in low threshold manner, I would recommend it for every team that is struggling with improving the agile process.
Executive Partner at DasScrumTeam
I really recommend the Self Assessment Game for Scrum Masters or Agile Teams as a way to facilitate and focus the discussion about possible improvements.
Scrum Master, Agile Coach & Master Producteer
The Agile Self-Assessment Game helped us to reflect on where we are in a fun way.
Agile Coach, Trainer, Advisor at Agileize
Great game – very powerful providing wonderful insights.
Agile Self-assessment Game
- Assessing your Agility
- Playing the Game
- Retrospectives for Assessments
- Creating the Cards
- Preselecting Cards
- Basic Game Format
- Variants on the Basic Game
- Health Check
- Investing in Agile
- Sailboat Retrospective with the Game
- First Things First
- Deep Thought
- Best Agile Practice Contest
- Sketching your Agile Journey
- Learning by Sharing Challenges
- Sailboat Futurespective
- Angel’s Advocate
- Playing the Agile Self-assessment Game at XP Days 2016
- Help Scrum and Agile Teams Improve
- Ideas for playing the Agile Self-assessment Game
- Playing the Agile Self-assessment Game in retrospectives
- Self-assessing How Agile You Are
- Frequently Asked Questions
Assessment Tools and Checklists
- Tools and Checklists for Agile Self-assessments
- Background Information on Agile Self-Assessments
- About the Author
- Increasing your Agility
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...