How to Find a Wolf in Siberia
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-09-20
About the Book
Available from Amazon in paperback format.
Ever feel like you're not all that good at troubleshooting things that go wrong? Maybe you're a computer person troubleshooting systems or code, a mechanic troubleshooting machines, or something else - the solution to being a better troubleshooter is to follow a simply, yet rigorous methodology based on facts and science.
This book's first Part outlines just such a methodology in under 6,000 words, making it a light, easy read that most people can finish in under an hour. That'll get you started, and into the second Part, which goes into more detail, explores concepts in more depth, and helps you create a Troubleshooting Mind that will make you more effective (and happier) in all your pursuits.
The point is that anyone really can become an excellent troubleshooter - and this book can get you started on a repeatable methodology that will help get you there!
Part 1: The Short Version
- How do You Find a Wolf in Siberia?
- Before You Start: Be Cool, and Get a Notebook
- Understand the Symptoms
- Understand the Scope
- Replicate the Problem
- Prerequisite: Know the System
- The Scientific Method and Troubleshooting
- “What Changed?”
- Control Your Variables
Part 2: The Dozen Parts of a Troubleshooting Mind
- 00. Eschews Belief; Hungers for Facts
- 01. Is Proactive: Has a Knowledge Base
- 02. Knows the Symptoms in Depth
- 03. Knows its Tools
- 04. Knows When “Wrong” is Right
- 05. Knows that “Know the System” Doesn’t Mean Expertise
- 06. Can Follow the Chain
- 07. States Better Theories
- 08. Brainstorms the Problem Domain
- 09. Can Troubleshoot Stuff That’s Not Totally Broke
- 10. Seeks Commonalities
- 11. Is Calm; Projects Calm
Part 3: Storytime
- POP! The Weasley Outlet
- It’s What You Project
- The Non-Leaky Hose
- The Leaky Network Server
- The Water Heater
- What Could it Be?
- In Closing
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...