Hacking of the Free
Hacking of the Free
Understanding Digital Threats to Democracy in the 21st Century
About the Book
The Internet age has ushered a new type of warfare - digital warfare. This isn't just warfare among "hackers" gaining unauthorized access to computer systems, but a war to influence public opinion through data analytics, propaganda and "fake news". Waging a war against the minds of the people isn't a new strategy, but the Internet age has ushered in the ability to rapidly produce simultaneous attacks against democracy and free elections.
This book, written by Cyber Security professional Ken Buckler, explores the digital threats our democracy faces in the 21st century, and how to guard against those threats.
Bundles that include this book
Table of Contents
- About the Author
Chapter One - Getting to Know You
- The Crystal Ball
- Predictive Pregnancy
- Cambridge Analytica
- The 2016 Election and the “Silent Majority”
- Defending Against Predictive Analytics
Chapter Two - The Propaganda Machine
- Early Propaganda
- Propaganda 1940 to 1980
- Digital Propaganda and Social Media
- Defending Against Propaganda
Chapter Three - The Fake News Farce
- Fake News for Profit
- Fake News for Political Gain
- Why Satire isn’t Fake News
- The Memory Hole
- Defending Against Fake News
Chapter Four - Hacktivism
- Privately Organized Hacking
- State Sponsored Organized Hacking
- Protecting Against Hacktivism
Chapter Five - Manipulating the Internet for Political Gain
- The Dangers of Social Media Influencing Real World Actions
- Social Media Manipulation
- Search Engine Manipulation
- Defending Against Social Media and Search Engine Manipulation
Chapter Six - Direct Attacks on Free Elections
- Political Espionage
- Vulnerable Voting Machines and Voter Registration
- Digital Terror Campaigns
- Disrupting Elections in Targeted Districts
- Defending Against Direct Attacks
- Closing Thoughts
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them