Cyber Security: Rules to Live By
Cyber Security: Rules to Live By
About the Book
A Cyber Security book for the rest of us! From beginner to expert, this book contains the fundamentals of cyber security, at home and at work, and how to implement good cyber security habits in your daily life, family, work, and community.
Too often is security an after-thought. Too often is it omitted, ignored, or disregarded in the name of convenience.
Only by establishing proper cyber security habits can we effectively protect ourselves.
From the author of "Death by Identity Theft", this book will be for not only those interested in the realm of cyber security as a career, but especially those who are not in Information Technology.
- About the Author
Chapter 1 - Even The Unsinkable Titanic Sunk
- There is no such thing as an unhackable system
- You don’t need five deadbolts if your neighbor hides his key under the welcome mat
Chapter 2 - K.I.S.S. - Keep It Secure Stupid!
- Never overestimate the technical ability of the common user
- Never underestimate the technical ability of the common user
- Never underestimate the technical ability of the your attackers
- The Internet is a Dangerous Place
Chapter 3 - Never Use a Cannon to Kill a Mosquito
- Cyber Security is about managing risk
- Security is Worthless if no work can be performed
- Is It Safe To Download Computer Software From The Internet
- Intrusion Detection
- Firewalls and You
- Anti-virus Software
- Anti-Spyware Software
Chapter 4 - Trust No One
- In God We Trust, All Others We Verify - Phishing Explained
- Understanding Phishing
- How Spammers and Phishers Get Your Email Address
- Top 5 Myths About Phishing
- Don’t Fall for the Bait
- Anti-Phishing Software
- What’s in a Password?
- Moving Beyond Passwords: Two Factor Authentication
Chapter 5 - Keep a Secret, Secret
- Passing a Note in Class
- The Secret Decoder Ring
- Beyond Encoding - Encryption
- Privacy Online
Chapter 6 - Two is One and One is None
- The Importance of Backups
- The Importance of Securing Backups
- The Importance of Testing Restoration of Backups
Chapter 7 - Always Take Out the Trash
- The Internet is Forever
- Delete Does Not Delete
- What is Identity Theft?
- Dumpster Diving, Dumpster Fire
- Preventing Identity Theft
- When (not if) Identity Theft Happens to You
- Your Liability as a Victim of Identity Theft
- Conclusion - A Few Final Rules to Live By
- References and Further Reading
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.