This book is 10% complete
Last updated on 2019-06-10
About the Book
- Important: This book is still in beta and is only partially finished. You can purchase it now for a lower price and you'll automatically get the full book when it's done as well as notifications when it continuously updates.
- You can also find a whole bunch of videos explaining concepts from this book at https://pipelinedriven.org
A Pipeline Driven Organization is operating around the idea that automated pipelines make the important IT decisions:
- When is it OK to deploy a new version?
- Is a feature working?
- When and how to deploy a new environment
- When to rollback (or forward) a new version
- Are we compliant and secure?
- Is the code releasable?
- Are the infrastructure changes OK?
In traditional organizations, even though automated pipelines may exist, they do not make the important & continuous IT decisions. Humans do.
In a pipeline based organization, experts from various categories of work spend their time teaching the pipelines how to make proper decisions (using automated specialized tests). In this way they can trust the pipeline enough to let it make the decisions instead.
- About the Author
1. Pipeline Troubles
- 1.1 The Holy Grail of Continuous Delivery
- CI/CD Servers
1.3 Human Bottlenecks
- Moving on Slowly
- Different Folks, Different Strokes
- Hot Potato Relay Race
- 1.4 Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt
- 1.5 What’s the Worst that could Happen?
- 1.6 Where the buck stops
- 1.7 Summary
2. From Driving Pipelines to Pipeline-Driven
- 2.1 What it’s not
- 2.2 Definition
2.3 Tactical vs. Strategic Judgements
- Pipelines are Tactical
- Faster Judgements
- Reducing Stress & Anxiety
- Enabling True Continuous Delivery
- 2.5 You want me to let a pipeline make decisions?
- 2.6 Teaching a Pipeline to Drive
- 2.7 Red-Green Tactical Decisions
- 2.8 No Middle Ground
- 2.9 Summary
3. New Skills for a New World
- 3.1 Knowledge Silos & Skills
- 3.2 Knowledge of combine rules, regulations and issues
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.