The Developer's Edge
The Developer's Edge
How to Double Your Career Speed with Soft Skills
About the Book
The Developer's Edge is a guide for software developers to develop soft skills. If you feel you are stuck in your career, you may have found that your tech skills are already good enough. At the same time, you may have experienced a hard time with negotiating raises or new job offers.
You will not only get a full checklist on achieving a career breakthrough, but you will also get valuable information to create lasting change in your career in terms of communication, mental management, online presence, and motivation.
The approach in The Developer's Edge is based on professionalism and well presented performance. We will focus on achieving a career breakthrough in an honest and sustainable way.
Strategies in this book are based on research on peak performance psychology, motivation theory, self-esteem, and emotional intelligence. Commanding your emotions will enable you to enjoy the process of working on your career.
Table of Contents
1. Breaking Down the Developer’s Edge
- 1.1 Why software developer careers are special
- 1.2 Four essential soft skills for Career Advancement
- 1.3 Your path towards your dream job and dream life
- 1.4 How to pick up momentum right now
2. The Career Mindset of Professionals
- 2.1 Reclaim your emotional balance to face any career challenges
- 2.2 Raise your self-esteem to become unstoppable
- 2.3 Deal with uncertainties of your new challenges
- 2.4 Face your fears
- 2.5 Free yourself by eliminating your limiting beliefs
- 2.6 Escape the motivation trap by strengthening your willpower
- 2.7 Summary
3. Discover Your Individual Goals
- 3.1 Career paths for software developers
- 3.2 Where are you now?
- 3.3 Where do you want to be?
4. Your Online and Offline Presence
- 4.1 Design your personal brand and watch your inbox get flooded with opportunities
- 4.2 The irresistible resume and cover letter in your hands
- 4.3 Use social media to your advantage
- 4.4 Avoid killing time by choosing the right side projects
- 4.5 Use meetups, workshops, and conferences to your advantage
5. Overcome Your Weaknesses at Work
- 5.1 Social skills: how to talk to anyone, and represent your interest
- 5.2 Become irreplacable: the character of a software professional
- 5.3 You don’t need maniuplation to get ahead
- 5.4 Show your value
- 5.5 Simplify negotiation and build your reputation with feedback loops
- 5.6 How people get promoted without negotiation
6. Get Paid What You Deserve - Negotiating Raises and Promotions
- 6.1 Understand your negotiation partner
- 6.2 Prepare and practice your request
- 6.3 The secrets of effective negotiation
- 6.4 Build lasting relationship by showing gratitude
- 6.5 The dark side of counter-offers
7. Get Your Dream Job
- 7.1 Case study: the story of two tech interviews
- 7.2 Print your entry ticket to the interview
- 7.3 Make a positive impression during the first interview
- 7.4 Nail the technical interview and homework assignments
- 7.5 Negotiate better than HR and make them want you even more
- 7.6 Checklist for targeting a new job with experience
- 7.7 Checklist for targeting a new job without experience
8. Your Future is in Your Hands
- 8.1 A career worth pursuing
- 8.2 Autonomy and Alignment
- 8.3 Final Notes
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them