The Developer's Edge
The Developer's Edge
How to Double Your Career Speed with Soft Skills
About the Book
The Developer's Edge is a guide for software developers to develop soft skills. If you feel you are stuck in your career, you may have found that your tech skills are already good enough. At the same time, you may have experienced a hard time with negotiating raises or new job offers.
You will not only get a full checklist on achieving a career breakthrough, but you will also get valuable information to create lasting change in your career in terms of communication, mental management, online presence, and motivation.
The approach in The Developer's Edge is based on professionalism and well presented performance. We will focus on achieving a career breakthrough in an honest and sustainable way.
Strategies in this book are based on research on peak performance psychology, motivation theory, self-esteem, and emotional intelligence. Commanding your emotions will enable you to enjoy the process of working on your career.
1. Breaking Down the Developer’s Edge
- 1.1 Why software developer careers are special
- 1.2 Four essential soft skills for Career Advancement
- 1.3 Your path towards your dream job and dream life
- 1.4 How to pick up momentum right now
2. The Career Mindset of Professionals
- 2.1 Reclaim your emotional balance to face any career challenges
- 2.2 Raise your self-esteem to become unstoppable
- 2.3 Deal with uncertainties of your new challenges
- 2.4 Face your fears
- 2.5 Free yourself by eliminating your limiting beliefs
- 2.6 Escape the motivation trap by strengthening your willpower
- 2.7 Summary
3. Discover Your Individual Goals
- 3.1 Career paths for software developers
- 3.2 Where are you now?
- 3.3 Where do you want to be?
4. Your Online and Offline Presence
- 4.1 Design your personal brand and watch your inbox get flooded with opportunities
- 4.2 The irresistible resume and cover letter in your hands
- 4.3 Use social media to your advantage
- 4.4 Avoid killing time by choosing the right side projects
- 4.5 Use meetups, workshops, and conferences to your advantage
5. Overcome Your Weaknesses at Work
- 5.1 Social skills: how to talk to anyone, and represent your interest
- 5.2 Become irreplacable: the character of a software professional
- 5.3 You don’t need maniuplation to get ahead
- 5.4 Show your value
- 5.5 Simplify negotiation and build your reputation with feedback loops
- 5.6 How people get promoted without negotiation
6. Get Paid What You Deserve - Negotiating Raises and Promotions
- 6.1 Understand your negotiation partner
- 6.2 Prepare and practice your request
- 6.3 The secrets of effective negotiation
- 6.4 Build lasting relationship by showing gratitude
- 6.5 The dark side of counter-offers
7. Get Your Dream Job
- 7.1 Case study: the story of two tech interviews
- 7.2 Print your entry ticket to the interview
- 7.3 Make a positive impression during the first interview
- 7.4 Nail the technical interview and homework assignments
- 7.5 Negotiate better than HR and make them want you even more
- 7.6 Checklist for targeting a new job with experience
- 7.7 Checklist for targeting a new job without experience
8. Your Future is in Your Hands
- 8.1 A career worth pursuing
- 8.2 Autonomy and Alignment
- 8.3 Final Notes
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
General Systems Thinker Bundle
5 BooksThe General Systems Thinker Bundle is just that: a bundle of five books to advance the reader one giant step toward improved thinking, based on General Systems principles. Four of the books are the complete General Systems Series. The fifth is fictional piece which shows some general systems thinkers in action. It's a mystery in which a group of...
Experiential Learning Bundle
4 BooksThis bundle provides all four volumes of the popular Experiential Learning Series at a savings of $20 over the price if purchased separately.
2 BooksAfter getting up and running with Ansible in Jeff Geerling's Ansible for DevOps, strengthen your skills managing tens to thousands of instances and services in Amazon's AWS cloud with Yan Kurniawan's Ansible for AWS.
Learn ECMAScript 6 inside and out
2 BooksFor any technology, it helps to get multiple points of view on the functionality to get the best possible understanding. For ECMAScript 6/2015, no two resources are recommended more frequently thanExploring ES6by Dr. Axel Rauschmayer andUnderstanding ECMAScript 6by Nicholas C. Zakas. These two points of view, investigating the specification and...
Software architecture, for systems old and new
2 BooksThis bundle includes books about hands-on software architecture.