The Developer's Edge
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-01-03
About the Book
The Developer's Edge is a guide for software developers to develop soft skills. If you feel you are stuck in your career, you may have found that your tech skills are already good enough. At the same time, you may have experienced a hard time with negotiating raises or new job offers.
You will not only get a full checklist on achieving a career breakthrough, but you will also get valuable information to create lasting change in your career in terms of communication, mental management, online presence, and motivation.
The approach in The Developer's Edge is based on professionalism and well presented performance. We will focus on achieving a career breakthrough in an honest and sustainable way.
Strategies in this book are based on research on peak performance psychology, motivation theory, self-esteem, and emotional intelligence. Commanding your emotions will enable you to enjoy the process of working on your career.
1. Breaking Down the Developer’s Edge
- 1.1 Why software developer careers are special
- 1.2 Four essential soft skills for Career Advancement
- 1.3 Your path towards your dream job and dream life
- 1.4 How to pick up momentum right now
2. The Career Mindset of Professionals
- 2.1 Reclaim your emotional balance to face any career challenges
- 2.2 Raise your self-esteem to become unstoppable
- 2.3 Deal with uncertainties of your new challenges
- 2.4 Face your fears
- 2.5 Free yourself by eliminating your limiting beliefs
- 2.6 Escape the motivation trap by strengthening your willpower
- 2.7 Summary
3. Discover Your Individual Goals
- 3.1 Career paths for software developers
- 3.2 Where are you now?
- 3.3 Where do you want to be?
4. Your Online and Offline Presence
- 4.1 Design your personal brand and watch your inbox get flooded with opportunities
- 4.2 The irresistible resume and cover letter in your hands
- 4.3 Use social media to your advantage
- 4.4 Avoid killing time by choosing the right side projects
- 4.5 Use meetups, workshops, and conferences to your advantage
5. Overcome Your Weaknesses at Work
- 5.1 Social skills: how to talk to anyone, and represent your interest
- 5.2 Become irreplacable: the character of a software professional
- 5.3 You don’t need maniuplation to get ahead
- 5.4 Show your value
- 5.5 Simplify negotiation and build your reputation with feedback loops
- 5.6 How people get promoted without negotiation
6. Get Paid What You Deserve - Negotiating Raises and Promotions
- 6.1 Understand your negotiation partner
- 6.2 Prepare and practice your request
- 6.3 The secrets of effective negotiation
- 6.4 Build lasting relationship by showing gratitude
- 6.5 The dark side of counter-offers
7. Get Your Dream Job
- 7.1 Case study: the story of two tech interviews
- 7.2 Print your entry ticket to the interview
- 7.3 Make a positive impression during the first interview
- 7.4 Nail the technical interview and homework assignments
- 7.5 Negotiate better than HR and make them want you even more
- 7.6 Checklist for targeting a new job with experience
- 7.7 Checklist for targeting a new job without experience
8. Your Future is in Your Hands
- 8.1 A career worth pursuing
- 8.2 Autonomy and Alignment
- 8.3 Final Notes
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...