Practical Unit Testing with JUnit and Mockito
Last updated on 2015-12-22
About the Book
This book explains in detail how to implement unit tests using very popular open source Java technologies. It presents a range of techniques necessary to write high quality unit tests – e.g. mocks, parametrized tests and matchers. It also discusses trade-offs related to the choices we have to make when dealing with some real-life code issues.The book stresses the importance of writing readable and maintainable unit tests, and puts a lot of stress on code quality. It shows how to achieve testable code and to eliminate common mistakes by following the Test Driven Development approach. Every topic discussed in the book is illustrated with code examples, and each chapter is accompanied by some exercises.By reading this book you will:
- Grasp the role and purpose of unit tests
- Write high-quality, readable and maintainable unit tests
- Learn how to use JUnit and Mockito (but also other useful tools)
- Avoid common pitfalls when writing unit tests
- Recognize bad unit tests, and fix them in no time
- Develop code following the Test Driven Development (TDD) approach
- Use mocks, stubs and test-spies intelligently
- Measure the quality of your tests using code coverage and mutation testing
- Learn how to improve your tests’ code so it is an asset and not a burden
- Test collections, expected exceptions, time-dependent methods and much more
- Customize test reports so that they show you what you really need to know
- Master tools and techniques your team members have never even heard of (priceless!) :)
Nowadays every developer is expected to write unit tests. While simple in theory, in practice writing high-quality unit tests can turn out to be a real challenge. This book will help.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.