Publishing with Emacs, Org-mode and Leanpub
This book is 30% complete
Last updated on 2020-06-20
About the Book
Publishing your words has never been easier than it is today. Blogging means you can have your words read by thousands of people within minutes of writing them. Even publishing a book has become considerably easier through self publishing. There are many tools and publishers that allow you to get started for little or no money. Still, getting started can be confusing, and that is what this book is about.
In this book, I will show you the workflow and tools I use to publish my books. The three main tools involved are:
- The GNU Emacs editor together with Org-mode for writing, editing and exporting your text;
- GitHub or Bitbucket to store your book files.
- Leanpub for typesetting, previewing, publishing and selling your work.
The following are optional, but highly recommended for making the workflow more automated and consistent:
- Some CI/CD tool (e.g. CircleCI) for automating the typesetting, previewing and publication process;
- Hammerspoon (if you are using a Mac) for monitoring book builds.
To illustrate the process and provide you with a starting point, the source repository for this book is available at https://github.com/zzamboni/emacs-org-leanpub. I am populating the repository live as I write this book!
Preface to the early release
- Release notes
- The process
- Emacs and org-mode
2 Setting up
- Signing up for Leanpub
- Emacs and org-mode configuration
- Creating the book locally
- Creating the book on Leanpub
- Your first book preview
- Additional book configuration
3 TODO The workflow
4 TODO Automation
- CI/CD for previewing and publishing
- Triggering and monitoring book builds
5 TODO Tips and tricks
- Visual configuration
- Code block execution and output processing (like in this book)
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.