This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-11-02
About the Book
Get up to speed on CFEngine, the open source configuration management software that enables you to automate everything from one-server shops to enterprise computer networks. This hands-on introduction shows you how to use CFEngine to implement and manage and your IT infrastructure in a sustainable, scalable, and efficient manner.
The book covers CFEngine 3.12 LTS.
Congratulations. This is the tutorial CFEngine deserved and never had.
I can’t recommend this book enough … It really is one of the best technical books I have read in a while.
This is the book about CFEngine 3. Start with this one if you want to commit to the real CFEngine philosophy, the productive and clean one.
- Foreword to the first edition
- Who Is This Book For?
- Overview of the Book
- Online Resources
- Conventions Used in This Book
- Using Code Examples
- How to Contact Me
- Content Updates
- How to Achieve Automation
- A Brief History of CFEngine
- Versions of CFEngine
2. Getting Started with CFEngine
- Installing CFEngine
- Finishing the Installation and Bootstrapping
- Auxiliary Files
- Your First CFEngine Policy
3. CFEngine Basics
- Basic Principles
- CFEngine Components
- A First Example
- The CFEngine Policy Language
- Clients and Servers
- CFEngine Information Resources
4. Using CFEngine
- Initial System Configuration
- User Management
- Package Management
- Using CFEngine for Security
- Additional CFEngine Features and Information
5. CFEngine Tips, Tricks, and Patterns
- Hierarchical Copying
- Passing Name-Value Pairs to Bundles
- Setting Default Values for Bundle Parameters
- Using Classes as Configuration Mechanisms
- Generic Tasks Using Lists and Array Indices
- Defining Classes for Groups of Hosts
- Controlling Promise Execution Order
- Dynamic Loading and Execution
6. Advanced Topics
- Setting Up Multiple CFEngine Environments
- CFEngine Testing
- Using Vagrant with CFEngine
- Service Management Using CFEngine
- Where to from Here?
Appendix A: Editing CFEngine 3 Configurations in Emacs
- Setting Up
- Using the cfengine Mode
- Customizing Indentation in cfengine-mode
Appendix B: Editing CFEngine 3 Configurations in Vim
- Setting Up
- Getting Help
- Using the Plugin
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.