About the Bundle
These are all the books I have written and published in Leanpub. I hope you enjoy them!
Automated System Administration for Sites of Any Size
Get up to speed on CFEngine, the open source configuration management software that enables you to automate everything from one-server shops to enterprise computer networks. This hands-on introduction shows you how to use CFEngine to implement and manage and your IT infrastructure in a sustainable, scalable, and efficient manner.
The book covers CFEngine 3.12 LTS.
3 reader testimonials
Unleash the power of automation on your Mac
In this book you will learn how to use Hammerspoon, a powerful open-source framework which makes using a Mac more pleasant, productive and fun. It enables interaction with the system at multiple layers—from low-level file system or network access, mouse or keyboard event capture and generation, all the way to manipulating applications or windows, processing URLs and drawing on the screen. It also allows interfacing with AppleScript, the most common mechanism for automation on the Mac. Hammerspoon configuration is written in Lua, a popular embedded programming language.
Using Hammerspoon, you can replace many stand-alone Mac utilities for controlling or customizing specific aspects of your Mac (those that tend to overcrowd the menubar). Here are some examples of things you can do with it:
- Add missing or more convenient keyboard shortcuts to applications, even for complex multi-step actions. For example: automated tagging and filing in Evernote, mail archival in Mail or Outlook, filing items from multiple applications to OmniFocus using consistent keyboard shortcuts, or muting/unmuting a conversation in Skype.
- Manipulate windows using keyboard shortcuts to resize, move and arrange them.
- Dispatch URLs to different browsers based on regular expression patterns. When combined with Site-specific Browsers, this allows for highly flexible management of bookmarks, plugins and search configurations.
- Replace Spotlight, Lacona and other launchers with a fully configurable, extensible launcher, which allows not only to open applications, files and bookmarks, but to trigger arbitrary Lua functions.
- Set up actions to happen automatically when switching between WiFi networks—for example, for reconfiguring proxies in some applications.
- Keyboard-triggered translation of selected text between arbitrary human languages.
- Keep a configurable and persistent clipboard history.
- Automatically pause audio playback when headphones are unplugged.
In this book you will learn how to get started with Hammerspoon, how to use pre-made modules, and how to write your own, to achieve an unprecedented level of control over your Mac.
Utilerías de Unix
Automatización y Eficiencia en Sistemas Unix y Linux
El sistema operativo Unix, desde su concepción, tiene la filosofía de la especialización: está compuesto por muchos pequeños programas, cada uno de los cuales realiza una función muy específica. Unix provee los medios necesarios para integrar distintos comandos, aprovechando sus capacidades conjuntas para llevar a cabo tareas más complejas de una manera relativamente sencilla.
Existen algunos comandos que son muy utilizados por ser los más "útiles" para la obtención de resultados rápidamente. En este texto trataremos de dar una visión muy general de los comandos más populares entre los usuarios de Unix.
Beautiful and functional configuration files using literate programming
This booklet will teach you about Literate Configuration, which is the application of Literate Programming to configuration files. Literate Programming can be especially applicable to configuration files for the following reasons:
- Configuration files are inherently focused, since they correspond to a single application, program or set of programs, all related. This makes it easier to draw a narrative for them;
- Most configuration files are self-contained but their structure and syntax may not be immediately evident, so they benefit from a human-readable explanation of their contents;
- Configuration files are often shared and read by others, as we all like to learn by reading the config files of other people. Applying Literate Programming to config files makes them much easier to share, since their explanation is naturally woven into the code;
Org-mode is a powerful and simple markup language for general writing, but with unique features that make it easy to include code within the text, and even further, to easily extract that code into stand-alone source files which can be interpreted by their corresponding programs.
Whether you already use Emacs and org-mode or not, you will find value in this book by seeing how uniquely Literate Programming can help you better write, maintain, understand and share your config files.
Publishing with Emacs, Org-mode and Leanpub
Easy and Powerful self-publishing
Publishing your words has never been easier than it is today. Blogging means you can have your words read by thousands of people within minutes of writing them. Even publishing a book has become considerably easier through self publishing. There are many tools and publishers that allow you to get started for little or no money. Still, getting started can be confusing, and that is what this book is about.
In this book, I will show you the workflow and tools I use to publish my books. The three main tools involved are:
- The GNU Emacs editor together with Org-mode for writing, editing and exporting your text;
- GitHub or Bitbucket to store your book files.
- Leanpub for typesetting, previewing, publishing and selling your work.
The following are optional, but highly recommended for making the workflow more automated and consistent:
- Some CI/CD tool (e.g. CircleCI) for automating the typesetting, previewing and publication process;
- Hammerspoon (if you are using a Mac) for monitoring book builds.
To illustrate the process and provide you with a starting point, the source repository for this book is available at https://github.com/zzamboni/emacs-org-leanpub. I am populating the repository live as I write this book!
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.