Asking for a Better Future
Asking for a Better Future
Support your team during retrospectives with solution-focused questions
About the Book
In IT and other technical fields, analyzing reigns supreme: If you understand a problem in all its intricacies, then you can fix it. But what if the same does not apply to "people problems"? *mind blown*
Following this assumption, we can adapt our go-to questions for retrospectives and other conversations to reach a productive outcome faster and become hopeful. This uplifting energy buoys the team to tackle next steps more successfully.
- Hi there!
“The solution doesn’t care how the problem came to be”
- Honoring the problem without “asking into it”
- Solution focus – Who dat?
- Answer space – Questions influence their answers
- What does that mean for retrospectives?
- “What for?” instead of “Why?”
- Soften fixed statements with “until now” or “right now”
Set the Stage
- “Positive and True”
Gather Data and Generate Insight
- “When you’ve reached your goal, what does that look like?” or “What would you like to have happen?”
- “And what instead?”
- “What difference will it make?”
- “And what else?”
- Fit for a movie script
- “In the here and now: When is the world already like in the better future (at least a little bit)?”
- “What should stay the way it is now?”
Decide What to Do
- “And what needs to happen for this to happen?”
Closing the Retrospective
- “How confident are you …?”
- Just as important: Listening!
- Would you like to know more?
Appendix aka even more SF
- Attitudes and Principles
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.