The Big Book of PowerShell Error Handling
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-10-28
About the Book
Despite the title, this is actually a very small, concise book designed to help you understand how PowerShell generates and deals with errors. It's also designed to help you build the best possible error handling for your own scripts and functions, in just a few short lessons.
- The Big Book of PowerShell Error Handling
- What is error handling?
- How this book is organized
Powershell Error Handling Basics
- ErrorRecords and Exceptions
- Terminating versus Non-Terminating Errors
Controlling Error Reporting Behavior and Intercepting Errors
- The $Error Variable
- ErrorAction and $ErrorActionPreference
- The $LASTEXITCODE Variable
- The $? Variable
Analysis of Error Handling Test Results
- Intercepting Non-Terminating Errors
- Intercepting Terminating Errors
- Effects of setting ErrorAction or $ErrorActionPreference
- How PowerShell behaves when it encounters unhandled terminating errors
Putting It All Together
- Suppressing errors (Mostly, don’t do this)
- The $? variable (Use it at your own risk)
- Determining what types of errors can be produced by a command
- Dealing with Terminating Errors
- Dealing with Non-Terminating Errors
- Calling external programs
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.