The Big Book of PowerShell Error Handling
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-10-28
About the Book
Despite the title, this is actually a very small, concise book designed to help you understand how PowerShell generates and deals with errors. It's also designed to help you build the best possible error handling for your own scripts and functions, in just a few short lessons.
- The Big Book of PowerShell Error Handling
- What is error handling?
- How this book is organized
Powershell Error Handling Basics
- ErrorRecords and Exceptions
- Terminating versus Non-Terminating Errors
Controlling Error Reporting Behavior and Intercepting Errors
- The $Error Variable
- ErrorAction and $ErrorActionPreference
- The $LASTEXITCODE Variable
- The $? Variable
Analysis of Error Handling Test Results
- Intercepting Non-Terminating Errors
- Intercepting Terminating Errors
- Effects of setting ErrorAction or $ErrorActionPreference
- How PowerShell behaves when it encounters unhandled terminating errors
Putting It All Together
- Suppressing errors (Mostly, don’t do this)
- The $? variable (Use it at your own risk)
- Determining what types of errors can be produced by a command
- Dealing with Terminating Errors
- Dealing with Non-Terminating Errors
- Calling external programs
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...