Secrets of PowerShell Remoting
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-10-28
About the Book
Introduced in Windows PowerShell 2.0, Remoting is one of PowerShell's most useful, and most important, core technologies. It enables you to run almost any command that exists on a remote computer, opening up a universe of possibilities for bulk and remote administration. Remoting underpins other technologies, including Workflow, Desired State Configuration, certain types of background jobs, and much more. This guide isn't intended to be a complete document of what Remoting is and does, although it does provide a good introduction. Instead, this guide is designed to document all the little configuration details that don't appear to be documented elsewhere.
- Secrets of PowerShell Remoting
- What is Remoting?
- Examining Remoting Architecture
- Enabling Remoting
- Test Environment
- Enabling Remoting
- Core Remoting Tasks
- Remoting Returns Deserialized Data
- Enter-PSSession vs. Invoke-Command
Accessing Remote Computers
- Setting up an HTTPS Listener
- Certificate Authentication
- Modifying the TrustedHosts List
- Connecting Across Domains
- Administrators from Other Domains
- The Second Hop
Working with Endpoints (aka Session Configurations)
- Connecting to a Different Endpoint
- Creating a Custom Endpoint
- Security Precautions with Custom Endpoints
Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
- Diagnostics Examples
- Standard Troubleshooting Methodology
- Ad-Hoc vs. Persistent Sessions
- Disconnecting and Reconnecting Sessions
- Session Options
PowerShell, Remoting, and Security
- Neither PowerShell nor Remoting are a “Back Door” for Malware
- PowerShell Remoting is Not Optional
- Remoting Does Not Transmit or Store Credentials
- Remoting Uses Encryption
- Remoting is Security-Transparent
- Remoting is Lower Overhead
- Remoting Uses Mutual Authentication
Configuring Remoting via GPO
- GPO Caveats
- Allowing Automatic Configuration of WinRM Listeners
- Setting the WinRM Service to Start Automatically
- Creating a Windows Firewall Exception
- Give it a Try!
- What You Cant Do with a GPO
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.