The API Economy
The API Economy
Disruption and the Business of APIs
About the Book
The API space has produced an economy in it’s own right. There is obviously the monetary exchange from developer user to API provider. But looking deeper, partners to API programs have emerged that offer key components to support an API throughout it’s lifecycle, streamlining operations for the API provider and improving their overall developer program - strong evidence of an industry maturing.
Tune into case studies as we explore how agile businesses are using APIs to disrupt industries and outperform competitors. We’ll forecast into the future growth of the API industry, analyze the impact APIs have historically had on specific industries, and see where partners to API providers fit into the overall spectrum. This eBook also compiles our knolwedge on growth sectors impacted by APIs: We also examine specific sectors, like FinTech, healthcare, IoT, as well as others that have not yet been API-fied. If you are an economist, industry expert, architect, entrepreneur looking for a new project, or simply intrigued by the concept of disruptive APIs, join us as we analyze the state of the API economy and review exciting potentials using new web technology and innovative business partnerships.
*All proceeds from the sale of this eBook will be donated to the Salvation Army in Sweden.
Blogger @ Nordic APIs
Art is a copywriter/blogger/content creator who gave up the big city grind to go freelance and live out in the countryside. He writes about everything from financial services and software/technology to health and fitness for big corporations and startups alike. He started his own company, Copywriting Is Art, several years ago and tweets at @ArtCopywriter.
Editor in Chief @ Nordic APIs
Bill Conrad Doerrfeld is a strategist within the API industry, specializing in API economy research, marketing, and evergreen content evangelism for developer communities. He is the Editor in Chief for Nordic APIs. Before that he studied the API economy as Directory Manager & Associate Editor for the ProgrammableWeb API directory. Follow him on Twitter, or reach out via email.
- Preface: Introducing the API Economy and the Business of APIs
Tracking the Growth of the API Economy
- Growth by the Numbers
- The Birth of B2D
- Growth by Sectors
- Analysis: Evidence of Market Maturity
11 New Breeds of Businesses That Have Emerged out of the API Economy
- 1: Company that Provides API to Developer Consumers as Top Priority
- 2: Company Whose Infrastructure Depends Heavily on Third Party APIs for Survival
- 3: Company that Supports APIs with Management Solutions
- 4: Companies that Specialize in API Testing and Monitoring
- 5: API Documentation-as-a-Service
- 6: Tools for API Development and Continuous Delivery
- 7: Cloud Hosting
- 8: Companies that Specialize in API Discovery and Marketing
- 9: API Brokers - Independent API Strategy Consultants
- 10: Companies that Bring APIs to the Laymen
- 11: Organizations that Disseminate API Knowledge
- Analysis: More Innovative Business Types
Sectors for Exploitation with APIs
- Cost Cutting
- Food Data and Analytics
- Freight Trucking
- Green Building
- Home Health Care
- Analysis: Final Thoughts
The Role of APIs in Growing Financial Technology
- FinTech and APIs: Making the Bank Programmable
- The State of FinTech
- Advantages of Exposing a Bank with an API
- In-Account App Marketplaces, other Proof of Concepts
- With PSD2, EU Banks Will be Open by Law
- Regulatory Impact on Personal Data Rights
- The Open Banking (and Data) Landscape
- Analysis: Implications of Open Banking
How APIs are Streamlining Healthcare
- Why Healthcare Needs APIs
- Using APIs for Diagnosis
- Improving Clarity for Patients
- Making Operations Easier for Health Professionals
- The Trouble with Using APIs in a Healthcare Setting
- Making Things Easier for Researchers
- The Future of Healthcare and APIs
APIs Are Evolving The B2B Landscape
- In With The New, Out With (Some) Old
- The Clothing Chain Example
- B2B 15 Years Ago: The Progression
- Why B2B Strategy Really Needs An API Strategy
- Getting The Conversation Rolling
- API Advocacy
- Convincing An Architect
- Analysis: B2B World is Slowly Changing with APIs
The Core Principles of API Management
- A Definition of API Management
- API Registry
- API Gateway
- Developer Portal
- Analysis: An Attempt at an Objective, General Definition
How APIs Are Disrupting The Way We Think
- Disruption or Destruction?
- The Biggest Disruption of All: APIs Change Our Expectations
- APIs Are the Digital Glue Holding Our World Together
- How Can Today’s Developers Take Advantage of API Disruption?
- Analysis: Drive API Disruption
Should Every Company Consider Providing an API?
- Common Myths Surrounding APIs
- Myth #1: All APIs Are Public
- Myth #2: Providing APIs Is an IT-Only Matter
- Myth #3: Providing APIs Is Only For Internet Startups And Giants
- Developing an Internal API: A First Crucial Step With Many Benefits
- From The IT Department Perspective
- From the Company Perspective
- Providing APIs to Others: The Next Step
- Analysis: APIs Must Be a Concern For Every Company
The Future of the API Space
- API Indicator #1: API Becomes an Accepted Tool to Grow Your Business
- API Indicator #2: Microservices Architecture Allows All Departments to Scale
- API Indicator #3: Are Public APIs Losing Their Luster?
- Analysis: Are You Getting All You Can out of the API Economy?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
A Guide to Artificial Intelligence in HealthcareDr. Bertalan Mesko
Can we stay human in the age of A.I.? To go even further, can we grow in humanity, can we shape a more humane, more equitable and sustainable healthcare? This e-book aims to prepare healthcare and medical professionals for the era of human-machine collaboration. Read our guide to understanding, anticipating and controlling artificial intelligence.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
Learn Git, Bash, and Terraform the Hard Way
3 BooksLearn Git, Bash and Terraform using the Hard Way method.These technologies are essential tools in the DevOps armoury. These books walk you through their features and subtleties in a simple, gradual way that reinforces learning rather than baffling you with theory.
Software Architecture and Beautiful APIs
2 BooksThere is no better way to learn how to design good APIs than to look at many existing examples, complementing the Software Architecture theory on API design.
Digital Future of Healthcare and Pharma
3 BooksThese three popular e-books from The Medical Futurist describes how digital health technologies will shape the future of health, healthcare, medicine and pharma with exciting infographics in a digestible format.