The API Economy
The API Economy
Disruption and the Business of APIs
About the Book
The API space has produced an economy in it’s own right. There is obviously the monetary exchange from developer user to API provider. But looking deeper, partners to API programs have emerged that offer key components to support an API throughout it’s lifecycle, streamlining operations for the API provider and improving their overall developer program - strong evidence of an industry maturing.
Tune into case studies as we explore how agile businesses are using APIs to disrupt industries and outperform competitors. We’ll forecast into the future growth of the API industry, analyze the impact APIs have historically had on specific industries, and see where partners to API providers fit into the overall spectrum. This eBook also compiles our knolwedge on growth sectors impacted by APIs: We also examine specific sectors, like FinTech, healthcare, IoT, as well as others that have not yet been API-fied. If you are an economist, industry expert, architect, entrepreneur looking for a new project, or simply intrigued by the concept of disruptive APIs, join us as we analyze the state of the API economy and review exciting potentials using new web technology and innovative business partnerships.
*All proceeds from the sale of this eBook will be donated to the Salvation Army in Sweden.
Blogger @ Nordic APIs
Art is a copywriter/blogger/content creator who gave up the big city grind to go freelance and live out in the countryside. He writes about everything from financial services and software/technology to health and fitness for big corporations and startups alike. He started his own company, Copywriting Is Art, several years ago and tweets at @ArtCopywriter.
Editor in Chief @ Nordic APIs
Bill Conrad Doerrfeld is a strategist within the API industry, specializing in API economy research, marketing, and evergreen content evangelism for developer communities. He is the Editor in Chief for Nordic APIs. Before that he studied the API economy as Directory Manager & Associate Editor for the ProgrammableWeb API directory. Follow him on Twitter, or reach out via email.
- Preface: Introducing the API Economy and the Business of APIs
Tracking the Growth of the API Economy
- Growth by the Numbers
- The Birth of B2D
- Growth by Sectors
- Analysis: Evidence of Market Maturity
11 New Breeds of Businesses That Have Emerged out of the API Economy
- 1: Company that Provides API to Developer Consumers as Top Priority
- 2: Company Whose Infrastructure Depends Heavily on Third Party APIs for Survival
- 3: Company that Supports APIs with Management Solutions
- 4: Companies that Specialize in API Testing and Monitoring
- 5: API Documentation-as-a-Service
- 6: Tools for API Development and Continuous Delivery
- 7: Cloud Hosting
- 8: Companies that Specialize in API Discovery and Marketing
- 9: API Brokers - Independent API Strategy Consultants
- 10: Companies that Bring APIs to the Laymen
- 11: Organizations that Disseminate API Knowledge
- Analysis: More Innovative Business Types
Sectors for Exploitation with APIs
- Cost Cutting
- Food Data and Analytics
- Freight Trucking
- Green Building
- Home Health Care
- Analysis: Final Thoughts
The Role of APIs in Growing Financial Technology
- FinTech and APIs: Making the Bank Programmable
- The State of FinTech
- Advantages of Exposing a Bank with an API
- In-Account App Marketplaces, other Proof of Concepts
- With PSD2, EU Banks Will be Open by Law
- Regulatory Impact on Personal Data Rights
- The Open Banking (and Data) Landscape
- Analysis: Implications of Open Banking
How APIs are Streamlining Healthcare
- Why Healthcare Needs APIs
- Using APIs for Diagnosis
- Improving Clarity for Patients
- Making Operations Easier for Health Professionals
- The Trouble with Using APIs in a Healthcare Setting
- Making Things Easier for Researchers
- The Future of Healthcare and APIs
APIs Are Evolving The B2B Landscape
- In With The New, Out With (Some) Old
- The Clothing Chain Example
- B2B 15 Years Ago: The Progression
- Why B2B Strategy Really Needs An API Strategy
- Getting The Conversation Rolling
- API Advocacy
- Convincing An Architect
- Analysis: B2B World is Slowly Changing with APIs
The Core Principles of API Management
- A Definition of API Management
- API Registry
- API Gateway
- Developer Portal
- Analysis: An Attempt at an Objective, General Definition
How APIs Are Disrupting The Way We Think
- Disruption or Destruction?
- The Biggest Disruption of All: APIs Change Our Expectations
- APIs Are the Digital Glue Holding Our World Together
- How Can Today’s Developers Take Advantage of API Disruption?
- Analysis: Drive API Disruption
Should Every Company Consider Providing an API?
- Common Myths Surrounding APIs
- Myth #1: All APIs Are Public
- Myth #2: Providing APIs Is an IT-Only Matter
- Myth #3: Providing APIs Is Only For Internet Startups And Giants
- Developing an Internal API: A First Crucial Step With Many Benefits
- From The IT Department Perspective
- From the Company Perspective
- Providing APIs to Others: The Next Step
- Analysis: APIs Must Be a Concern For Every Company
The Future of the API Space
- API Indicator #1: API Becomes an Accepted Tool to Grow Your Business
- API Indicator #2: Microservices Architecture Allows All Departments to Scale
- API Indicator #3: Are Public APIs Losing Their Luster?
- Analysis: Are You Getting All You Can out of the API Economy?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...