Rally Game for the Web (Keep Up The Good Work: Book + Code)
Rally Game for the Web
Develop your multiplayer game with Unreal Engine 4 and node.js
About the Book
This is the second book about the multiplayer game development series, but this time things are done a bit differently. You'll get to know about Unreal Engine 4, multiprocess Node.js, websockets and document databases (MongoDB+Mongoose). Again, you'll be implementing both server and client step-by-step.
Update 07/2017: Also includes Docker, Docker Compose and Docker Swarm!
Keep Up The Good Work: Book + Code
A Goodwill Package to support the authors to push their limits and release the book (on time). Includes The Book and the source codes that will be released later.
The Book + Code
This package includes The Book and the source codes.
The Big Picture
- Gameplay Experience in Noderally
- Server application
- Multiplayer feature
- Designing and Programming
- Version Management
Putting up the basics
- Message protocol
- Hack #1: Going multiprocess with cluster module
- Hack #2: microtasker
- Hack #3: microtasker in action
Adding the HTTP Server
- A few words for the future
Deployment to OpenShift
Preparing Environment for Client Prototype
Client Development Tool - Unreal Engine 4
- How to install UE4
- Linux support
- Building for Linux
- Fix Potential Issues When Running On Linux
- New Project to Version Control
- Create a Gameplay Level
Configure Your Development Environment in Unreal Editor
- Git Source Code Management
- Setting Up Coding IDE
- Blending it In - Preparing a Car Model
- Client Development Tool - Unreal Engine 4
Our Client Needs Some Wheels
Creating Car Pawn in Unreal Engine
- Why do we need a Pawn?
- Creating a Car Pawn
Add Car Model to Pawn
- Importing to Unreal Editor
- Setting a Model To Our Car Pawn
- Disable Default Pawn for Now
- Change Materials to Work Without Lighting
- Add a Camera to Scene
Making Car Move
- Making Parameters That Are Tweakable in Unreal Editor
- Create Functions for Controlling Cars
- Write Movement Code in C++
Setting Up Input using Axis Events
- Add Axes to Project Settings
- Binding Axes to Actions
- Be Car-eful now!
- Creating Car Pawn in Unreal Engine
Testing the Server
- Debug print console.log
- Node Inspector
- Apache Benchmark
Server Release Two
- Playing with Docker
Server Release Three
- Docker Swarm - The Final Step
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.