How To Be A Tech Lead
Last updated on 2019-04-06
About the Book
Stepping up to be a tech lead is a small step into leadership, but it may be the most important step you ever take in your career. I want to help guide you through it.
Some of the things you'll learn from this short book include:
- Whether you should even take the plunge to tech lead
- What it means to get results through others, maybe for the first time in your life
- How to focus on the process of growth more than the results
- What the tech lead role is and what tech leads do
- Navigating hard conversations
- How to listen to your team skillfully as a tech lead
- Taking initiative and being accountable as a tech lead
- How to craft clear and compelling visions for the team
- How to track and adjust what the team is doing
- And more!
- About the Author
- Why I Wrote This Book
We’re on a Journey, Tech Leads!
- A New Chapter in Your Career and Life
- Getting Results Through Others
- Should You Be a Tech Lead?
- Focus on the Process Not the Results
- From Here On, Let’s Get Practical
What is the Tech Lead Role and Why Do We Need It?
- Popular Thinking on What a Tech Lead Is
- Some Organizations Have Formal Tech Lead Roles
- Informal Tech Leads
- Promoting Yourself to Tech Lead
- Why We Need Tech Leads
What Do Tech Leads Do?
- You Will Be Communicating More–A Lot More
- You Will Be Taking a Broader View
- You Will Be Active, Not Passive
- Still a Deeply Technical Role
- The Tech Lead Role is Fluid
Your Tech Lead Toolbox: The Five Pareto Capabilities
- Foundation: Navigating Hard Conversations
- Tech Leadership With the Five Pareto Capabilities
Capability No. 1: Listening
- Maturing Your Skill as a Listener
- Listening Is Critical to Developing Your Tech Lead Influence
- Blockers to Skillful Listening
Capability No. 2: A Bias for Action
- Stepping Into Leadership Moments
- Let’s Talk About Your Energy Level
- Maturing Your Bias for Action Capability
Capability No. 3: Vision Crafting
- Creating Clear and Compelling Visions as a Tech Lead?
- Maturing Your Vision Crafting Capability
Capability No. 4: Tracking + Adjusting
- Tracking the Team
- Making Adjustments
- Bringing Tracking and Adjusting Together
- Maturing in Your Tracking + Adjusting Capability
- Capability No. 5: Growth Mindset
- Wrapping Up
- More From the Author
- Other Recommendations
- Why Should You Consider Coaching?
- What is the Tech Lead Coaching Network?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.