What Does the Bible Say About Finding a Spouse?
About the Book
This book seeks to steer a middle course between the rocks of legalism and the cliffs of sexual compromise on the subject of finding a life partner.
The Bible gives universal principles that can apply to every individual and every culture. However, it also guides us in applying those principles flexibly to the unique situations that people find themselves in.
It is the prayer of this author that this booklet will provide the guidance needed to help young men and women maintain purity and propriety while fully enjoying Biblical romance.
- Why We Need a Fresh Study
1. Avoiding Legalism and License
- Scripture gives more than one model and calls for flexibility
- Scripture gives all the principles needed for this subject
- What is Form and Freedom?
- Form and Freedom in Romance
- Spoiling what God intended to be delightful
2. Surveying The Biblical Options
- Let’s avoid reductionism
- Marriages without a time of discussion or betrothal
- Marriages with betrothal alone
- Marriages after a season of discussion and betrothal
3. Clearly Defining Our Terms
- What a season of discussion is not
- What a season of discussion is
4. Clearly Defining Our Terms - Betrothal
- Is betrothal Biblical?
- What betrothal is not
- What betrothal is
5. Maintaining Purity
- General Biblical Guidelines
- A Detailed Study and Interaction With an Alternative View
6. Is There A Place For Pre-Marital Romance?
- Betrothal - Delightful Romance
- Betrothal – Time For Developing Habits and Skills for Marriage
7. Case Study: Genesis 24
- Value of a father’s involvement even when older (v. 1; 25:20; 1 Cor. 7:36)
- It is better to wait than to marry the wrong one
- Be active in seeking a spouse (vv. 1ff; cf. 1 Thes. 4; Numb. 36:6; Jer. 29:6; Gen. 2:20)
- Be willing to think outside the box when no one locally is a suitable potential spouse
- Fathers should treat the issue of their children’s marriages seriously (vv. 2-3)
- Don’t let your children become unequally yoked (v. 3)
- Both fathers and other matchmakers can be involved in the search for a spouse (v. 4)
- Don’t be desperate (v. 5)
- Base your decision making on the inspired revelation of Scripture (vv. 6-7)
- Find a wife that will fit your calling and follow you (v. 8)
- All matchmakers should themselves be believers (v. 9)
- Matchmakers must know the worldview, passions, desires, and personality of those they are serving.
- Men should be able to financially support their wives (v. 10)
- Fathers should be interested in passing on a multi-generational heritage (vv. 11-12)
- We should bathe the whole process in prayer, seeking God’s guidance (vv. 13-14)
- Have a set of essential criteria in a potential spouse and prepare your children to meet those Biblical criteria (vv. 13ff)
- Objectivity is needed – not allowing beauty to blind you (vv. 15-16)
- Have confidence in God’s providence and guidance (vv. 17-21)
- Don’t be shy about asking questions (vv. 22-25)
- Be God-centered (vv. 26-27)
- Become the wise father that makes you the first one that your children turn to (v. 28)
- One father can take initiative even if the other father does not (v. 29)
- God can still bring good out of family situations that are messed up (vv. 30-31)
- Don’t be swayed by pushiness; stay focused on God’s will (vv. 32-33)
- Be confident that it is normally God’s will for all of our children to be married (vv. 34-40)
- Fathers should model godly leadership to other fathers (vv. 41-48)
- Fathers have authority to approve or disapprove of potential husbands (v. 49)
- Get used to talking frankly about marriage potential (vv. 50-53)
- The legitimacy of a bride price and dowry (vv. 50-52)
- Women have a strong say-so in whom they marry (vv. 54-58)
- Cast the vision of having many children (vv. 59-60; cf. Gen. 1:28; 1 Tim. 5:14)
- Pass on a legacy and vision (vv. 59-60)
- Fathers must relinquish control of their daughters once married (v. 61)
- Instill spiritual qualifications of leadership in your sons (vv. 62-63)
- Be confident that love can grow after marriage (v. 67)
- About the author
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Code Faster in DelphiAlister Christie
This book will make you a faster Delphi developer, it doesn't matter if you are just starting out, or have been using Delphi since version 1, you will find all sorts of tips, tricks and hacks to boost your productivity.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...
SurviveJS - Webpack + React
2 BooksGet both SurviveJS - Webpack and SurviveJS - React for a single price!
Experiential Learning Bundle
4 BooksThis bundle provides all four volumes of the popular Experiential Learning Series at a savings of $20 over the price if purchased separately.