Last updated on 2020-08-24
About the Book
This book seeks to steer a middle course between the rocks of legalism and the cliffs of sexual compromise on the subject of finding a life partner.
The Bible gives universal principles that can apply to every individual and every culture. However, it also guides us in applying those principles flexibly to the unique situations that people find themselves in.
It is the prayer of this author that this booklet will provide the guidance needed to help young men and women maintain purity and propriety while fully enjoying Biblical romance.
- Why We Need a Fresh Study
1. Avoiding Legalism and License
- Scripture gives more than one model and calls for flexibility
- Scripture gives all the principles needed for this subject
- What is Form and Freedom?
- Form and Freedom in Romance
- Spoiling what God intended to be delightful
2. Surveying The Biblical Options
- Let’s avoid reductionism
- Marriages without a time of discussion or betrothal
- Marriages with betrothal alone
- Marriages after a season of discussion and betrothal
3. Clearly Defining Our Terms
- What a season of discussion is not
- What a season of discussion is
4. Clearly Defining Our Terms - Betrothal
- Is betrothal Biblical?
- What betrothal is not
- What betrothal is
5. Maintaining Purity
- General Biblical Guidelines
- A Detailed Study and Interaction With an Alternative View
6. Is There A Place For Pre-Marital Romance?
- Betrothal - Delightful Romance
- Betrothal – Time For Developing Habits and Skills for Marriage
7. Case Study: Genesis 24
- Value of a father’s involvement even when older (v. 1; 25:20; 1 Cor. 7:36)
- It is better to wait than to marry the wrong one
- Be active in seeking a spouse (vv. 1ff; cf. 1 Thes. 4; Numb. 36:6; Jer. 29:6; Gen. 2:20)
- Be willing to think outside the box when no one locally is a suitable potential spouse
- Fathers should treat the issue of their children’s marriages seriously (vv. 2-3)
- Don’t let your children become unequally yoked (v. 3)
- Both fathers and other matchmakers can be involved in the search for a spouse (v. 4)
- Don’t be desperate (v. 5)
- Base your decision making on the inspired revelation of Scripture (vv. 6-7)
- Find a wife that will fit your calling and follow you (v. 8)
- All matchmakers should themselves be believers (v. 9)
- Matchmakers must know the worldview, passions, desires, and personality of those they are serving.
- Men should be able to financially support their wives (v. 10)
- Fathers should be interested in passing on a multi-generational heritage (vv. 11-12)
- We should bathe the whole process in prayer, seeking God’s guidance (vv. 13-14)
- Have a set of essential criteria in a potential spouse and prepare your children to meet those Biblical criteria (vv. 13ff)
- Objectivity is needed – not allowing beauty to blind you (vv. 15-16)
- Have confidence in God’s providence and guidance (vv. 17-21)
- Don’t be shy about asking questions (vv. 22-25)
- Be God-centered (vv. 26-27)
- Become the wise father that makes you the first one that your children turn to (v. 28)
- One father can take initiative even if the other father does not (v. 29)
- God can still bring good out of family situations that are messed up (vv. 30-31)
- Don’t be swayed by pushiness; stay focused on God’s will (vv. 32-33)
- Be confident that it is normally God’s will for all of our children to be married (vv. 34-40)
- Fathers should model godly leadership to other fathers (vv. 41-48)
- Fathers have authority to approve or disapprove of potential husbands (v. 49)
- Get used to talking frankly about marriage potential (vv. 50-53)
- The legitimacy of a bride price and dowry (vv. 50-52)
- Women have a strong say-so in whom they marry (vv. 54-58)
- Cast the vision of having many children (vv. 59-60; cf. Gen. 1:28; 1 Tim. 5:14)
- Pass on a legacy and vision (vv. 59-60)
- Fathers must relinquish control of their daughters once married (v. 61)
- Instill spiritual qualifications of leadership in your sons (vv. 62-63)
- Be confident that love can grow after marriage (v. 67)
- About the author
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.