IT Strategy Bundle
IT Strategy Bundle
About the Bundle
Architects prefer decision models and patterns over buzzwords. Get two books from the Architect Elevator IT Strategy series for the price of one!
A Decision-Based Approach to Successful Cloud Migration
Most books on cloud computing want to tell you that you should become “digital” or ”agile”, or dwell on product details that are prone to be outdated by the time you read them. This book fills the giant gap in between. It’ll help you ask the right questions to define a strategy based on meaningful decisions. It’ll also help you unravel existing assumptions to realize the full potential of the new technology. And it demystifies modern technology without dumbing it down.
The book condenses my experience developing and implementing cloud strategies for large organizations into an easy-to-read but insightful format that covers IT strategy, architecture, financials, and organizational changes.
A Decision-based Approach to Cloud Strategy
You can’t copy-paste a strategy from a recipe book or from another organization. Diverse starting points, objectives, and constraints imply different choices and trade-offs. Also, a cloud strategy must include close alignment across business, organization, and technology. This book questions existing assumptions ("Why run software you didn't build?") and presents technology-neutral decision models ("8 ways to slice the hybrid cloud") ideally suited to defining and communicating a well-thought-out migration journey.
- PDF/Mobile Reader: You'll get all ebook formats and free updates right here, DRM free!
- Print: Prefer hard copy? Get paperback or hardcover on Amazon!
- Kindle: Register your device's mail address with Leanpub to have files delivered directly to your Kindle.
Based on the author's extensive experience taking large organizations to the cloud, 33 Chapters highlight options, decisions, and trade-offs - the core elements of any strategy. These mental models come to life through real-life anecdotes and examples:
- Understanding the Cloud - Cloud is not a mere technology upgrade.
- Organizing for the Cloud - To get the most out of the cloud, you’ll turn your organization sideways.
- Moving to the Cloud - Many roads lead to Rome, but some go faster than others. Choose wisely.
- Architecting the Cloud - Multi, hybrid, portable, multi-tenant, and disposable? Stay clear of buzzwords and embrace rational decision models.
- Building for the Cloud - Cloud applications are more than containers and serverless. Also, IaC is a misnomer.
- Budgeting the Cloud - Cloud can significantly reduce your operational costs—if you leave existing assumptions behind.
This book will be your trusted advisor for your cloud journey. It applies the mindset of “The Software Architect Elevator” (my prior book) to cloud computing.
This book currently enjoys a 4.7 star rating on Goodreads. Thanks go to all early readers who made the book better by providing feedback during the writing process.
3 reader testimonials
Innovation Through Harmonization
The Lure of Platforms
Platforms seem to be everywhere, whether it’s platform business models that fuel the most valuable companies and most unicorns, 100-billion Dollar cloud platforms, or in-house developer and analytics platforms. And that's no surprise: platforms appear to be able to rewrite the laws of physics, for example by boosting innovation thanks to harmonization.
Most organizations looking to harvest the power of platforms discover that building one, or even deploying one, is far from easy. Many in-house platforms are outdated by the time they’re launched, restrict rather than enable users, and face a certain demise when their use is mandated in a last-ditch effort to make the economics work.
Harvested from a decade of building successful in-house platforms and enabling enterprises to utilize cloud platforms, this book provides a fresh look at what makes platforms work, why they are different from other IT services, and how you can use them to boost developer productivity. Sticky metaphors (“are you building a fruit salad or fruit basket?”; “is your platform sinking or floating?”; “build abstractions not illusions!”) provide actionable design guidance without being lecturing or boring.
The book accompanies you on your platform journey, supplementing architectural rigor with real-life examples::
- Part I: Understanding Platforms: because "platform" is an overloaded term, this part delineates the types and characteristics of platforms
- Part II: A Strategy for Platforms: building platforms requires significant investment and stamina. Learn how to articulate your platform strategy for both technology and organization.
- Part III: In-House Platforms: internal platforms are all the rage. Learn how to build one and how to avoid common pitfalls.
- Part IV: Designing Platforms: platforms hide a lot of complexity but that means building one isn't trivial. Learn how to make design trade-offs using fruit salads and submarines. ..
- Part V: Implementing Platforms: drilling deeper yet, this part discusses platform anatomy and architecture blueprints
- Part VI: Growing Platforms: mandating platform usage is sure to backfire. Instead, learn how to build communities and support platform adoption.
- Part VII: Organizing for Platforms: platform teams need to balance customer feedback and a clear vision.
This book is part of the "Architect Elevator" series, which provides essential tools for architects and IT leaders to drive major strategic initiatives in enterprises or late-stage start-ups. By showing the big picture and developing deep insight, the books forgo simple answers and buzzwords in favor of mental models that help readers make better decisions.
A note on pricing:
Leanpub is DRM-free and therefore doesn't foresee regional pricing. For some readers, $10 is a lot more than for others, so I set a low minimum price to reach the broadest audience possible. If you are well employed and believe this book will help you in your career, please consider paying the recommended price. If you are a student, not employed, or on a low wage, feel free to pay within your means.
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.