This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2020-09-05
About the Book
"A sound strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true. Stop having cloud wishes and define a cloud strategy."
Note: The print version of this book is available on Amazon
Note: If you read on a Kindle, you can register your device's mail address with Leanpub and have files delivered directly to it.
Cloud computing is an amazing resource that can provide fully managed platforms, auto-optimizing and even auto-healing operations, per-second billing, pre-trained machine learning models, and globally distributed transactional data stores. So, it's no wonder that most enterprises are engaging in a cloud migration or cloud transformation, as it's often called. .
Migrating a whole enterprise to the cloud isn't as easy as pushing a button. Simply lifting and shifting legacy applications to the cloud is unlikely to bring the anticipated benefits whereas re-architecting applications to run optimally in the cloud is likely to be cost prohibitive and not a worthwhile investment. So, enterprises need to have a better and more nuanced strategy than just "cloud first!"
A Decision-based Approach to Cloud Strategy
A sound cloud strategy isn't something you can copy-paste from a recipe book or from another organization. Each organization has a different starting point and works under different constraints and objectives. In addition, a cloud strategy doesn't just deal with technical change but also requires close alignment between business and IT goals.
Unfortunately, most books on cloud computing either stay at a very high level or describe specific vendors and products. This book fills this gap by taking a fresh look at cloud computing and providing decision models to lay out a nuanced migration journey.
Based on real-life experience taking large organizations to the cloud, 30 Chapters focus on options, decisions, and trade-offs - the core elements of any strategy:
- Part 1: Understanding the Cloud - Cloud is very different from traditional IT procurement, so you'll have to rethink the way your IT works.
- Part 2: Organizing for the Cloud - Cloud impacts more than your tech landscape.
- Part 3: Moving to the Cloud - There are many ways to the cloud; please choose wisely.
- Part 4: Architecting the Cloud - Look beyond products and buzzword and instead use rational decision models.
- Part 5: Building for the Cloud - The cloud is a formidable platform, but applications running on top of it need to do their part, also.
- Part 6: Embracing Cloud - To reap the full benefits of cloud, you need to go all in
Discount Team Pack (6 Copies)
Have the whole team speak the same language by getting a copy for each team member. And save along the way!
Jean-Francois Landreau is leading the infrastructure team at Allianz Direct, the new brand for the direct insurance business of Allianz.
When the excitement moved from the development toward the operations with the emergence of the SRE and devops trend, he followed the same path.
He is a strong believer that you can't take enlightened enterprise decisions if you are too far away from the machine room.
Michele Danieli is the Head of Architecture Practice at Allianz Technology Global Lines & North America Customer Solution Group. He leads globally distributed architecture teams building platforms.
He started his career in the engine room and sees architecture and engineers as best friends. A good diagram and a mind map are essential tools and code is not a foe. Traveling the elevator is building bold visions with pragmatic targets as nothing beats running code; but stable and scalable running code is always better.
- About this Book
Part I: Understanding Cloud
- 1 Cloud Isn’t IT Procurement; It’s a Lifestyle Change
- 2 Cloud Thinks in the First Derivative
- 3 Wishful Thinking Isn’t a Strategy
- 4 Principles Connect Strategy and Decisions
- 5 If You Don’t Know How to Drive…
Part II: Organizing for the Cloud
- 6 Cloud is Outsourcing
- 7 Cloud Turns Your Organization Sideways
- 8 Retain / Re-Skill / Replace / Retire
- 9 Don’t Hire a Digital Hitman
- 10 Enterprise Architecture in the Cloud
Part III: Moving to the Cloud
- 11 Why Exactly Are You Going to the Cloud Again?
- 12 No One Wants a Server
- 13 Don’t Run Software You Didn’t Build
- 14 Don’t Build an Enterprise Non-Cloud!
- 15 Cloud Migration per Pythagoras
Part IV: Architecting the Cloud
- 16 Multi-cloud: You’ve Got Options
- 17 Hybrid Cloud: Slicing the Elephant
- 18 The Cloud - Now On Your Premises
- 19 Don’t Get Locked-up Into Avoiding Lock-in
- 20 The End of Multitenancy?
- 21 The New -ility: Disposability
Part V: Building (for) the Cloud
- 22 The Application-centric Cloud
- 23 What Do Containers Contain?
- 24 Serverless = Worry Less?
- 25 Keep Your FROSST
- 26 Keep Calm And Operate On
Part VI: Embracing the Cloud
- 27 Cloud Savings Have To Be Earned
- 28 It’s Time To Increase Your “Run” Budget
- 29 Automation isn’t About Efficiency
- 30 Beware the Supermarket Effect!
- Author Biography
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.