The problem solving guide to Watir
About the Book
Watir is a great framework for automated testing web applications. It is easy to get started with Watir, but do you use effectively for testing real-world test scenarios? Such as data driving test from an Excel spreadsheet and handling pop up dialogs.
Watir Recipes will show you solutions to your problems from the experts who have already solved them. All recipe test scripts (100+) are ready-to-run. I created the target web pages and test sites, so that you can simply find the recipe and run, in a matter of seconds. Owning this book is like having a test automation coach sitting next to you.
'Watir Recipes' gets a lot of use in my job, Thank you.
- Preface to First Edition
- Who should read this book
- How to read this book
- Get recipe test scripts
- Send me feedback
- Watir and its variants
- Run recipe scripts
2. Watir and Selenium WebDriver
- Install Selenium Browser Drivers
- Cross browser testing with Watir-WebDriver
- Selenium WebDriver Locators
- Locating elements in Watir
- Access underneath Selenium API
- Start browser
- Click a link by text
- Click Nth link with the same link text
- Verify a link present or not?
- Getting link data attributes
- Test links open a new browser window
- Click a button by text
- Click a button by ID
- Click a button by name
- Click an image button
- Assert a button present
- Assert a button displayed or hidden?
- Assert a button enabled or disabled?
5. TextField and TextArea
- Enter text into a text field by name
- Enter text into a text field by ID
- Enter text into a password field
- Clear a text field
- Enter text into a multi-line text area
- Assert value
- Focus on a control
- Set a value to a read-only or disabled text field
6. Radio button
- Select radio button by name and value
- Select radio button by ID
- Clear radio option selection
- Assert a radio option is selected
- Iterate radio buttons in a radio group
- Select by name
- Select by ID
- Uncheck a checkbox
- Assert a checkbox is checked (or not)
8. Select List
- Select an option by text or value
- Select an option by ID
- Select an option by iterating all options
- Select multiple options
- Clear selection
- Assert selected option
- Assert the value of a select list
- Assert option text in a select list
- Assert multiple selections
9. Navigation and Browser
- Go to a URL
- Go to pages within the site without specifying full URL
- Perform actions from right click context menu such as ‘Back’, ‘Forward’ or ‘Refresh’
- Maximize browser window
- Minimize browser window
- Set typing speed
- Attaching browser
- Reuse browser
- Resizing browser window
- Remember current web page URL, then come back to it later
- Scroll to the bottom of a page
- Scroll to focus on a control
- Switch between browser windows or tabs
- Open new and close browser Tabs
- Assert page title
- Assert page text
- Assert page source
- Assert browser status
- Assert label text
- Assert span text
- Assert div text or HTML
- Assert table text
- Assert text in a table cell
- Assert text in a table row
- Assert image present
- Assert element location and width
- Assert element CSS style
- Testing Frames
- Testing iframe
- Test multiple iframes
12. Testing AJAX
- Wait within a time frame
- Explicit Waits until Time out
- Implicit Waits until Time out
- Wait an object to be present
13. File Upload and Popup dialogs
- File upload
- Timeout on an operation
- Popup Handler approach
- Basic or Proxy Authentication dialog
- Internet Explorer modal dialog
14. Debugging Test Scripts
- Print text for debugging
- Write text to IDE output
- Write page source or element HTML into a file
- Take screenshot
- Using IRB
- Leave browser open after test finishes
- Pause/Stop test execution at a certain step
- Run selected test steps against current IE browser
15. Test Data
- Get date dynamically
- Get a random boolean value
- Generate a number within a range
- Get a random character
- Get a random string at fixed length
- Get a random string in a collection
- Generate random person names, emails, addresses with Faker
- Generate a test file at fixed sizes
- Retrieve data from Database
16. Browser Profile and Capabilities
- Get browser type and version
- Set HTTP Proxy for Browser
- Verify file download in Chrome
- Test downloading PDF in Firefox
- Bypass basic authentication with Firefox AutoAuth plugin
- Manage Cookies
- Headless browser testing with PhantomJS
- Test responsive websites
17. Advanced User Interactions
- Double click a control
- Move mouse to a control - Mouse Over
- Click and hold - select multiple items
- Context Click - right click a control
- Drag and drop
- Drag slider
- Send key sequences - Select All and Delete
- HTML5 Email type field
- HTML5 Time Field
- Chosen - Standard Select
- Chosen - Multiple Select
- AngularJS web pages
- Ember JS web pages
- “Share Location” with Firefox
19. WYSIWYG HTML editors
20. Leverage Programming
- Raise exceptions to fail test
- Ignorable test statement error
- Read external file
- Data-Driven Tests with Excel
- Data-Driven Tests with CSV
- Identify element IDs with dynamically generated long prefixes
- Sending special keys such as Enter to an element or browser
- Use of Unicode in test scripts
- Extract a group of dynamic data : verify search results in order
- Verify uniqueness of a set of data
- Extract dynamic visible data rows from a results table
- Extract dynamic text following a pattern using Regex
- Quick extract pattern text in comments with Regex
- Assert text in page_source is faster than the text
- Getting text from more specific element is faster
- Avoid programming if-else block code if possible
- Use variable to cache not-changed data
- Enter large text into a text box
- Use Environment Variables to change test behaviours dynamically
- Test web site in two languages
- Multi-language testing with lookups
- Test starts browser but no execution with blank screen
- Failed to assert copied text in browser
- The same test works for Chrome, but not for IE
- Element is not clickable or not visible
- Lack knowledge of the programming language
23. Watir with Cucumber
- How Watir is integrated with Cucumber?
- Execute Cucumber tests
- Cucumber or RSpec?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
11 BooksThe Quality Software Bundle is for managers, would-be managers, and any of us who find themselves being managed and confused. This comprehensive bundle covers the entire span of software development approaches, from hacking through waterfall, cascade, prototyping, Iterative enhancement, reusable code, off-the-shelf, to Agile teams. The bundle...
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Marionette.js A to Z
Complete Scala Bundle
3 BooksScala is a general-purpose programming language and it's getting extremely popular these days. Some say that learning Scala could be a challenging task. My experience, however, suggests that this is actually a myth that has very little to do with reality. With the right approach, learning Scala can be easy, fun and rewarding.The first book from...
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...
SurviveJS - Webpack + React
2 BooksGet both SurviveJS - Webpack and SurviveJS - React for a single price!