The problem solving guide to Watir
About the Book
Watir is a great framework for automated testing web applications. It is easy to get started with Watir, but do you use effectively for testing real-world test scenarios? Such as data driving test from an Excel spreadsheet and handling pop up dialogs.
Watir Recipes will show you solutions to your problems from the experts who have already solved them. All recipe test scripts (100+) are ready-to-run. I created the target web pages and test sites, so that you can simply find the recipe and run, in a matter of seconds. Owning this book is like having a test automation coach sitting next to you.
'Watir Recipes' gets a lot of use in my job, Thank you.
- Preface to First Edition
- Who should read this book
- How to read this book
- Get recipe test scripts
- Send me feedback
- Watir and its variants
- Run recipe scripts
2. Watir and Selenium WebDriver
- Install Selenium Browser Drivers
- Cross browser testing with Watir-WebDriver
- Selenium WebDriver Locators
- Locating elements in Watir
- Access underneath Selenium API
- Start browser
- Click a link by text
- Click Nth link with the same link text
- Verify a link present or not?
- Getting link data attributes
- Test links open a new browser window
- Click a button by text
- Click a button by ID
- Click a button by name
- Click an image button
- Assert a button present
- Assert a button displayed or hidden?
- Assert a button enabled or disabled?
5. TextField and TextArea
- Enter text into a text field by name
- Enter text into a text field by ID
- Enter text into a password field
- Clear a text field
- Enter text into a multi-line text area
- Assert value
- Focus on a control
- Set a value to a read-only or disabled text field
6. Radio button
- Select radio button by name and value
- Select radio button by ID
- Clear radio option selection
- Assert a radio option is selected
- Iterate radio buttons in a radio group
- Select by name
- Select by ID
- Uncheck a checkbox
- Assert a checkbox is checked (or not)
8. Select List
- Select an option by text or value
- Select an option by ID
- Select an option by iterating all options
- Select multiple options
- Clear selection
- Assert selected option
- Assert the value of a select list
- Assert option text in a select list
- Assert multiple selections
9. Navigation and Browser
- Go to a URL
- Go to pages within the site without specifying full URL
- Perform actions from right click context menu such as ‘Back’, ‘Forward’ or ‘Refresh’
- Maximize browser window
- Minimize browser window
- Set typing speed
- Attaching browser
- Reuse browser
- Resizing browser window
- Remember current web page URL, then come back to it later
- Scroll to the bottom of a page
- Scroll to focus on a control
- Switch between browser windows or tabs
- Open new and close browser Tabs
- Assert page title
- Assert page text
- Assert page source
- Assert browser status
- Assert label text
- Assert span text
- Assert div text or HTML
- Assert table text
- Assert text in a table cell
- Assert text in a table row
- Assert image present
- Assert element location and width
- Assert element CSS style
- Testing Frames
- Testing iframe
- Test multiple iframes
12. Testing AJAX
- Wait within a time frame
- Explicit Waits until Time out
- Implicit Waits until Time out
- Wait an object to be present
13. File Upload and Popup dialogs
- File upload
- Timeout on an operation
- Popup Handler approach
- Basic or Proxy Authentication dialog
- Internet Explorer modal dialog
14. Debugging Test Scripts
- Print text for debugging
- Write text to IDE output
- Write page source or element HTML into a file
- Take screenshot
- Using IRB
- Leave browser open after test finishes
- Pause/Stop test execution at a certain step
- Run selected test steps against current IE browser
15. Test Data
- Get date dynamically
- Get a random boolean value
- Generate a number within a range
- Get a random character
- Get a random string at fixed length
- Get a random string in a collection
- Generate random person names, emails, addresses with Faker
- Generate a test file at fixed sizes
- Retrieve data from Database
16. Browser Profile and Capabilities
- Get browser type and version
- Set HTTP Proxy for Browser
- Verify file download in Chrome
- Test downloading PDF in Firefox
- Bypass basic authentication with Firefox AutoAuth plugin
- Manage Cookies
- Headless browser testing with PhantomJS
- Test responsive websites
17. Advanced User Interactions
- Double click a control
- Move mouse to a control - Mouse Over
- Click and hold - select multiple items
- Context Click - right click a control
- Drag and drop
- Drag slider
- Send key sequences - Select All and Delete
- HTML5 Email type field
- HTML5 Time Field
- Chosen - Standard Select
- Chosen - Multiple Select
- AngularJS web pages
- Ember JS web pages
- “Share Location” with Firefox
19. WYSIWYG HTML editors
20. Leverage Programming
- Raise exceptions to fail test
- Ignorable test statement error
- Read external file
- Data-Driven Tests with Excel
- Data-Driven Tests with CSV
- Identify element IDs with dynamically generated long prefixes
- Sending special keys such as Enter to an element or browser
- Use of Unicode in test scripts
- Extract a group of dynamic data : verify search results in order
- Verify uniqueness of a set of data
- Extract dynamic visible data rows from a results table
- Extract dynamic text following a pattern using Regex
- Quick extract pattern text in comments with Regex
- Assert text in page_source is faster than the text
- Getting text from more specific element is faster
- Avoid programming if-else block code if possible
- Use variable to cache not-changed data
- Enter large text into a text box
- Use Environment Variables to change test behaviours dynamically
- Test web site in two languages
- Multi-language testing with lookups
- Test starts browser but no execution with blank screen
- Failed to assert copied text in browser
- The same test works for Chrome, but not for IE
- Element is not clickable or not visible
- Lack knowledge of the programming language
23. Watir with Cucumber
- How Watir is integrated with Cucumber?
- Execute Cucumber tests
- Cucumber or RSpec?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Introductory Statistics with Randomization and SimulationMine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Christopher Barr, OpenIntro, and David Diez
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science, that introduces inference using randomization and simulation while covering traditional methods.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro, so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using our books in the classroom.
More resources: openintro.org.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Java OOP Done RightAlan Mellor
Object Oriented Programming is still a great way to create clean, maintainable code. But only if you use it right.
This book gives you 25 years of OO best practice, ready to use.
You'll learn to design objects behaviour-first, use TDD to help, then confidently apply Design Patterns, SOLID principles and Refactoring to make clean, crafted code.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Discrete Mathematics for Computer ScienceAlexander Shen, Alexander S. Kulikov, Vladimir Podolskii, and Aleksandr Golovnev
This book supplements the DM for CS Specialization at Coursera and contains many interactive puzzles, autograded quizzes, and code snippets. They are intended to help you to discover important ideas in discrete mathematics on your own. By purchasing the book, you will get all updates of the book free of charge when they are released.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...