Practical Continuous Testing
Practical Continuous Testing
make Agile/DevOps real
About the Book
The trend of software development is moving towards frequently releasing backed up automated functional testing. This is Continuous Testing.
- Unit tests ⇒ Functional tests
- Adhoc test execution ⇒ Repeatable process to run all automated tests
- Programmers only ⇒ The whole team
- Testing for better code quality ⇒ Testing for overall quality and frequent releases
This movement shall not come as a surprise, as being able to push out software releases frequently with high quality is what every software project team is pursuing, i.e, “Quality at speed”. In my view, this is the true objective of Agile and DevOps.
Despite all the hype of CT (and previously CI/CD) and DevOps, most software projects failed on functional testing, hence, on Agile or DevOps. Not convinced? You can try to answer this question: "Does your team have the capability to push software updates to the production every day?"
To succeed in Continuous Testing, software projects need to overcome the following four technical challenges:
- Functional Test Automation
- Continuous Execution in a CI/CT server
- Scaling with Parallel execution in multiple build agents
- Maintaining test execution (scripts and infrastructure) with high efficiency
In my opinion, the key to overcome the challenges is to courageously adjust the approach based on the feedback from CT.
- If the team spends significant time maintaining Cucumber tests, why not use a much simpler and better BDD framework RSpec?
- The testers and business analysts find it difficult to read test scripts in Java, why not change it to a good scripting language such as Ruby?
- If the execution time of automated functional tests is too long, why not try parallel execution?
- The current End-2-End test suite fails in a CI Server (such as Jenkins) every day with high failure rate, why not change the CI server to a proper CT server?
In this book, I will share my 14 years of experience in CT to help you to implement real Agile and DevOps for your organizations.
What's unique about this book? Being practical. By following the instructions in Chapter 2 (included in the sample), you shall be able to set up a CT server and run a set of Selenium tests on your machine within one hour. How can that be? The answer is to use a real CT server, BuildWise. BuildWise is a free, open-source CT Server that I have created from the ground up to manage executing automated functional tests better. AgileWay (my company) has been using BuildWise since 2013, which enables our DevOps process: releasing all our (Web and Desktop) apps to the production daily. BuildWise won the 2nd prize of the prestigious Ruby Award in 2018.
Learning CT techniques with a real CT server is much easier, more engaging and more fun. Very soon, you shall be able to set up a CT process at work.
- My Continuous Testing journey
- What’s unique about this book?
- Who should read this book?
- How to read this book?
- Send me feedback
- 1.1 What is Continuous Testing?
- 1.2 Continuous Testing is the trend
- 1.3 Continuous Testing vs Continuous Integration
- 1.4 Separate CT from existing CI/CD
- 1.5 Continuous Testing vs DevOps
- 1.6 Reality Check
- 1.7 Why will this book help?
2 Set up a CT server to run Selenium tests in minutes
- 2.1 Objectives
- 2.2 Prerequisite
- 2.3 Install CT Server
- 2.4 Create a Build Project
- 2.5 Trigger test execution manually
- 2.6 Feedback while test execution in progress
- 2.7 Build finished
- 2.8 Common Errors
3 How Continuous Testing Works?
- 3.1 Terminology
- 3.2 CT Process in detail
- 3.3 Install BuildWise Server for production use
- 3.4 Understand build working directories
- 3.5 Exercise: Fix a failed build
- 3.6 Review
4 Why is CT important?
- 4.1 Continuous Testing is the key to Agile
- 4.2 Detect regression errors quickly
- 4.3 Reduce/eliminate the needs for Defect Tracking
- 4.4 Try new ideas / upgrades
- 4.5 CT is vital for the maintenance
- 4.6 Training
- 4.7 Benefits for All Team Members
- 4.8 Review
5 Set up your own build project
- 5.1 Prepare your test scripts
- 5.2 Create a new build project
- 5.3 Trigger a build manually
- 5.4 View a build in progress
- 5.5 Cancel a build
- 5.6 View Change Log
- 5.7 Build history
- 5.8 View test failures and screenshot
- 5.9 View test script content
- 5.10 View test execution history
- 5.11 Build report
6 How to succeed in CT?
- 6.1 Definition of Success: AgileWay CT Grading
- 6.2 Functional test automation and continuous execution are interdependent
- 6.3 Success Factors (test automation)
- 6.4 Success Factors (infrastructure)
- 6.5 Success Factors (continuous execution)
- 6.6 Success Factors (human)
7 The Magic - Build Script
- 7.1 What is Build Script?
- 7.2 Use Build Script in BuildWise
- 7.3 Configure Build Tasks in BuildWise
- 7.4 Execute build tasks from the command line
- 7.5 Functional Testing (Sequential) Task
- 7.6 Functional Testing (Parallel) Task
8 Manage a project
- 8.1 Build Step Management
- 8.2 Common Pre-Functional-Testing Tasks
- 8.3 Clone an existing project
- 8.4 Build Artifacts
- 8.5 Enable the project’s API key
- 8.6 Notifications
- 8.7 Project Statistics
- 8.8 Hide a project
9 Manage builds
- 9.1 Trigger a build via API
- 9.2 Schedule a build
- 9.3 Add Build Summary
- 9.4 Invalidate a build
- 9.5 Delete a build
- 9.6 View and download build artifacts
- 9.7 View build logs
10 Sequential E2E Test Execution
- 10.1 Sequential Mode
- 10.2 Pre-requisite
- 10.3 Decide what tests to be included
- 10.4 Select test script files in the build script
- 10.5 Define a build target
- 10.6 Task Configuration in BuildWise
- 10.7 Test Execution Order
- 10.8 Feedback during the build
- 10.9 Analyse test reports
- 10.10 Anti-Pattern: Split tests into multiple sub-builds
11 Sequential Test Execution Best Practices
- 11.1 Limit the test count
- 11.2 Show test results immediately
- 11.3 Capture the error stack trace
- 11.4 Capture the error screenshot
- 11.5 View test script content
- 11.6 View test output
- 11.7 Customize test executions with Environment Variables
- 11.8 Clone build project for different purposes
- 11.9 Intelligent Ordering
12 Parallel Test Execution
- 12.1 Build Agents
- 12.2 Prerequisite for Test Scripts
- 12.3 Multi-Agents against the Single Server
- 12.4 Multi-Agents against the Multi-Servers
- 12.5 Monitor the build progress
- 12.6 Assess the benefits of parallelism
13 Parallel Test Execution Best Practices
- 13.1 Optimal agent count
- 13.2 Intelligent test execution ordering
- 13.3 Auto retry failed tests once more
- 13.4 Manually rerun a failed test
- 13.5 Cross-Platform Testing
- 13.6 Headless or not?
- 13.7 Distribution rules
- 13.8 Delay completion
14 Parallel Testing Lab
- 14.1 Hosting option: Cloud-based or On-premises?
- 14.2 Cost
- 14.3 Advice: starting small, grow gradually
- 14.4 My preferred setup for CT Lab
- 14.5 Set up BuildWise Server
- 14.6 Set up Build Agents
- 14.7 Best Practices
- 14.8 Wrap up
15 Why do most projects fail in CT?
- 15.1 Failure Factors - test automation
- 15.2 Failure Factors - infrastructure
- 15.3 Failure Factors - continuous execution
- 15.4 Failure Factors - Human
16 CT with web app testing in other frameworks
- 16.1 BuildWise supports multi-frameworks
- 16.2 PyTest (Python)
- 16.4 Cucumber (Ruby)
- 16.5 Parallel Build with multi frameworks
17 CT with Native apps and Microservices
- 17.1 Will my tests run in this CT server?
- 17.2 Desktop App Testing with Appium
- 17.3 Non-UI Functional Testing
18 Other Uses
- 18.1 Load Testing
- 18.2 Cross-Browser Testing
- 18.3 Prepare Application Data
- 18.4 Requirement Traceability
- 18.5 Execute specific tests on Server via Web Interface
- 18.6 Utilities
- 18.7 Wrap up
- Appendix 1 CI Steps
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...