Teach Yourself Data Analytics in 30 Days
Teach Yourself Data Analytics in 30 Days
Learn to use Python and Jupyter Notebooks by exploring fun, real-world data projects
About the Book
Would you like to learn how to extract useful insights from all the data around you without having to take years' worth of courses? College data science programs teach valuable skills, but sometimes all you need is access to some quick and direct tools. Welcome to Teach Yourself Data Analytics in 30 Days.
The book's curriculum is organized by eight data "stories." The stories are interesting on their own. But there's no doubt what they're really all about is Python data analytics. Each story/chapter contains all the information you would need to go out and get the raw data and then write the Python analytics code necessary to solve a specific problem. Or, in other words, each chapter teaches new Python skills.
If you're motivated and have a bit of available time, there's no reason you can't use those stories to teach yourself data analytics in 30 days. You'll find everything you need to build your own basic data analytics skills, including:
* Getting Python up and running on Jupyter Notebooks (or JupyterLab, if you prefer)
* Finding and cleaning data sources
* Plotting your data
* Understanding results through domain knowledge and tools like regression lines
* Python functions
Getting Started with Data Analytics and Python
- Programming with Python
- Installing Python
- Virtual Python environments
- Working with Python modules
- Using Jupyter Notebooks
- Installing Jupyter Notebooks
- Storing and protecting data
- Getting help
Comparing Wages With Consumer Price Index Data
- Working With the API
- Working with CPI and salary data
- Merge and plot our dataframes
Wages and CPI: Reality Check
- Confirm the integrity of your data
- Establish a historical context for your data
- Incorporate S&P 500 quotes
- Warning: Gotchas ahead!
- Calculate rate of increase for both CPI and S&P
Working With Major US Storm Data
- What Is a Major Storm?
- Where Does Major Storm Data Come From?
- What Does the Historical Record Show?
- US Hurricane Data: 1851-2019
- US Tropical Storm Data: 1851-1965, 1983-2019
Property Rights and Economic Development
- How Do You Measure Conditions and Outcomes?
- Getting the Data
- Visualizing Data Sets Using Scatter Plots
- Adding “Hover” Visibility
- Adding a Regression Line
- Other Considerations
How Representative Is Your Government?
- Scraping data from a single vote
- Automating vote tabulation
- What did we learn?
- Could government be more representative?
Does Wealth Influence the Prevalence of Mental Illness?
- My assumptions
- Plotting the data
- Thinking about our data
Do Birthdays Make Elite Athletes?
- Where Does the NHL Hide Its Data?
- How to Use Python to Scrape NHL Statistics
- How to Visualize the Raw Data
- What Do Histograms Really Tell Us?
- Make Sure to Use the Right Tools For the Job
Do Gun Control Laws Impact Gun Violence?
- Quantifying International Gun Laws
- Importing Gun Violence Data
- Plotting International Gun Violence Data
- US Gun Laws and Gun Violence
- What’s next?
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.