Take Control of TextExpander, Second Edition
Last updated on 2015-07-08
About the Book
Join Mac expert Michael E. Cohen as he helps you enjoy the power of TextExpander 5, the award-winning text expansion utility from Smile.
With Michael's guidance, you'll learn how to create "snippets" of text (like your address) that you can insert into any text by typing a short abbreviation (for example, addd). You'll find steps for easily expanding your collection of useful snippets with the Snippet Creation Assistant and the Suggestions feature, and learn how to create more sophisticated snippets, including snippets with formatting, clipboard contents, fill-in fields, macros, and scripts.
You'll discover how to add snippet groups created by Smile and others, create and share your own groups, and sync groups with Dropbox or iCloud Drive. And, you'll find directions for taking advantage of your snippets on an iOS device with Smile's TextExpander touch app.
This ebook was created in collaboration with Smile. Thanks to everyone at Smile who helped us make the book even more detailed and useful!
Running TextExpander is like embedding a superhero typist in your Mac. Read Take Control of TextExpander to learn how to:
- Reply faster: If you frequently send similar bits of text—directions, chunks of legal writing, bios, product descriptions, company names, addresses, URLs, and so forth—let TextExpander type all that text for you quickly, making it a snap to respond quickly to customer questions or requests from colleagues, and a breeze to send other routine correspondence (“Dear Mom, I’m still not pregnant. Love, Me”). You can even create fill-in snippets that ask for details and fill in all the rest of the text automatically.
- Make typing more exciting: Automagically add the date to filenames as you save, to shorten URLs or to insert HTML or CSS tags in a flash, and more. It’s like having another set of fingers.
- Type more accurately: Add the autocorrect dictionary groups from Smile and how to create your own autocorrection options, so you’ll spend less time fixing common typing mistakes or going red-faced when you spot an egregious error too late.
- Enjoy life more: When you let TextExpander handle your routine typing, your brain will be free to think more creatively about the rest of what you type. And you just might knock off work a little sooner some days.
Specific questions answered in this ebook include:
- How do I register my demo copy of TextExpander or buy a family pack?
- What are some common uses of TextExpander that I can try as I learn?
- How can I quickly insert special characters like emoji, smileys, and stars?
- How do I use TextExpander to timestamp my text automatically?
- How can I make a TextExpander snippet that expands into a fill-in form?
- How do I work with formatted text and pictures in snippets?
- How do I handle capitalization and snippet expansions?
- How can I get to TextExpander quickly, and hide it when I don’t need it?
- What do I do if I can’t remember a snippet’s abbreviation?
- How can I edit my snippets quickly?
- How do I insert a snippet immediately after a quotation mark or bracket?
- I do a lot of HTML and CSS coding. TextExpander sounds great, but how can I leverage someone else’s work and not have to create my own HTML and CSS expansions?
Still using TextExpander 3 or 4? Buy this ebook, and you'll get the second edition, which covers TextExpander 5. In the second edition, access Ebook Extras and look in the blog to download a free copy of the first edition, which documents TextExpander 3 and 4.
Read Me First
- Updates and More
- What’s New in This Edition?
- TextExpander Quick Start
- Get TextExpander
- Run the Snippet Creation Assistant
- Know Your Interfaces
- Make and Use a Simple Snippet
- Learn the Types of Snippet Content
Create and Use Complex Snippets
- Add Formatting and Pictures
- Meet the Macros
- Place the Cursor
- Insert the Clipboard or Another Snippet
- Include Special Keys
- Include Dates and Times
- Make a Fill-in Snippet
Organize Your Snippets
- Make Groups and Arrange Them
- Organize a Group’s Contents
- Save, Add, and Import Groups
- Customize Group Settings
Find Your Snippets
- Browse Your Snippets
- Search and Filter Your Snippets
Set TextExpander Options
- Manage Your Interfaces
- Set Expansion Options
- Set Auto-capitalization Options
- Back Up Your Snippets Automatically
- Use Suggestions
Create Snippets as You Go
- Set Up Your Services
- Use Hotkeys
- Create a New Snippet
- Edit the Last Expanded Snippet
Share and Sync Snippets
- Export Your Snippets
- Sync with the Cloud
Script with Snippets
- Script with AppleScript
- Script with the Shell
- Combine Scripting Snippets
Use TextExpander touch
- Manage Your Groups
- Make and Edit Snippets
- Use the TextExpander Keyboard
- Work in the App
- Adjust Typing Settings
- Expand in Compatible Apps
- Exchange Snippets among Devices
- Learn More
About This Book
- Ebook Extras
- About the Author
- About the Publisher
- Copyright and Fine Print
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...