Take Control of PDFpen 9
Last updated on 2017-07-11
About the Book
These days, an ever-increasing amount of “paper”—contracts, tax forms, bills, reports, and more—comes into our lives as PDF files. We generate this virtual paper too, since it’s so much easier to save a document as a PDF and send it to a colleague via email than it is to print and send via fax or mail. To read, edit, and manipulate all these PDFs, you need appropriate tools and skills.
Given the high price of Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, many Mac users have turned to Smile's affordable PDFpen apps to help them sign PDF forms, handle scanned documents, make changes in existing PDFs, create new PDFs from a variety of sources, and even export PDFs to other file formats. With Take Control of PDFpen 9, you'll learn how to do all these tasks and more on your Mac with PDFpen or PDFpenPro or on the go with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone.
Take Control of PDFpen 9 begins with a guide to purchasing options: PDFpen versus PDFpenPro, from Smile versus the Mac App Store, and the advantages of the iOS version. Next, you'll meet PDFpen with an overview of the PDF format and a tour of the interface.
With the basics out of the way, highlights of what you'll learn to do include:
- Add and remove pages, and combine pages from multiple files into one PDF.
- Mark up a PDF with highlights, comments, editing marks, and more.
- Edit a PDF by fixing typos, adding text, formatting text, and redacting confidential text.
- Scan a document into a PDF, and make the text editable with OCR.
- View and work with OCRed text in the OCR layer (PDFpenPro only)
- Add clickable links, page numbers, and images.
- Make a clickable table of contents (PDFpenPro only).
- Password-protect a PDF. And (PDFpenPro only), prevent others from printing or editing a PDF.
- Turn a PDF into a formatted Microsoft Word document, or (PDFpenPro only) export it in Excel or PowerPoint format.
And, you'll find directions for working with PDF forms:
- Fill out forms with ease.
- Add a handwritten signature.
- Apply a digital signing certificate.
- Print just form entries on a pre-printed form.
- Create an interactive PDF form (PDFpenPro only) that can collect data and send it to you via email or the Web. You can add an interactive signature field, which makes it easy for the form to be signed online.
An appendix describes the useful AppleScripts that ship with PDFpen.
This updated version of the book covers the latest improvements in PDFpen 9, including these new and revised features:
- A new Find and Highlight command that saves a step when you want to highlight something that can be expressed in searchable a word or phrase
- New dynamic positioning guides to help place objects and imprints
- A new Hand tool that makes it easier to reposition a PDF in the document window and to scale your view of it
- A new capability to select, copy, and delete annotations from the Annotations sidebar
- An added capability for exporting to various graphic formats (previous versions could only export to TIFF)
This ebook was created in collaboration with Smile, with PDFpen's developers tech editing the book.
Read Me First
- Updates and More
- What’s New in This Edition
- PDFpen Quick Start
Get Your Hands on PDFpen
- Standard or Pro
- Smile or Mac App Store
- PDFpen for iPad & iPhone
Learn about PDF Files
- A Short History of the PDF Format
- A Peek at What Is Inside
- On Having Realistic Expectations
Understand the Tools
- Where to Find Tools
- The Selection Tools
- The Markup Tools
- The Drawing Tools
- The Measurement Tool
- The Form Creation Tools (Pro Feature)
- The Object Property Tools
- The Inspector
- The Library
Navigate a PDF Document
- Display Pages
- Navigate Pages
- Navigate with the Sidebar
- Navigate with Search Results
- Navigate Portfolios
Create a PDF
- Make PDFs from Scratch
- Print to PDF
- Import from Scans and Graphic Files
- Combine Existing PDFs
- Create Portfolios (Pro Feature)
- Make PDFs from HTML (Pro Feature)
- Make a PDF Table of Contents (Pro Feature)
Take Notes on a PDF
- Highlight Text
- Add Commentary
- Draw Attention
- View, Extract, and Add Attachments
Copyedit and Review a PDF
- Learn about Copyediting
- Learn about Review Practices
Fill Out PDF Forms
- Fill Out an Interactive Form
- Fill Out a Non-interactive Form
- Add a Scanned Signature
- Sign Forms Digitally
Edit a PDF
- Add, Edit, and Remove Text
- Add and Alter Pictures
- Rearrange, Rotate, and Crop Pages
- Insert Page Numbers
- Create Links
Make an Interactive PDF Form (Pro Feature)
- Build a Form
- Polish the Layout
Publish Your PDFs
- Save or Export Your PDFs
- Print Your PDFs
Use PDFpen in iOS
- Find Tools and Commands
- Get PDFs in and out of PDFpen in iOS
Appendix A: The PDFpen AppleScripts
- The Scripts
- Where to Find the Scripts
- Learn More
About This Book
- Ebook Extras
- About the Author
- About the Publisher
- Copyright and Fine Print
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...