Take Control of PDFpen 9
Last updated on 2017-07-11
About the Book
These days, an ever-increasing amount of “paper”—contracts, tax forms, bills, reports, and more—comes into our lives as PDF files. We generate this virtual paper too, since it’s so much easier to save a document as a PDF and send it to a colleague via email than it is to print and send via fax or mail. To read, edit, and manipulate all these PDFs, you need appropriate tools and skills.
Given the high price of Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, many Mac users have turned to Smile's affordable PDFpen apps to help them sign PDF forms, handle scanned documents, make changes in existing PDFs, create new PDFs from a variety of sources, and even export PDFs to other file formats. With Take Control of PDFpen 9, you'll learn how to do all these tasks and more on your Mac with PDFpen or PDFpenPro or on the go with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone.
Take Control of PDFpen 9 begins with a guide to purchasing options: PDFpen versus PDFpenPro, from Smile versus the Mac App Store, and the advantages of the iOS version. Next, you'll meet PDFpen with an overview of the PDF format and a tour of the interface.
With the basics out of the way, highlights of what you'll learn to do include:
- Add and remove pages, and combine pages from multiple files into one PDF.
- Mark up a PDF with highlights, comments, editing marks, and more.
- Edit a PDF by fixing typos, adding text, formatting text, and redacting confidential text.
- Scan a document into a PDF, and make the text editable with OCR.
- View and work with OCRed text in the OCR layer (PDFpenPro only)
- Add clickable links, page numbers, and images.
- Make a clickable table of contents (PDFpenPro only).
- Password-protect a PDF. And (PDFpenPro only), prevent others from printing or editing a PDF.
- Turn a PDF into a formatted Microsoft Word document, or (PDFpenPro only) export it in Excel or PowerPoint format.
And, you'll find directions for working with PDF forms:
- Fill out forms with ease.
- Add a handwritten signature.
- Apply a digital signing certificate.
- Print just form entries on a pre-printed form.
- Create an interactive PDF form (PDFpenPro only) that can collect data and send it to you via email or the Web. You can add an interactive signature field, which makes it easy for the form to be signed online.
An appendix describes the useful AppleScripts that ship with PDFpen.
This updated version of the book covers the latest improvements in PDFpen 9, including these new and revised features:
- A new Find and Highlight command that saves a step when you want to highlight something that can be expressed in searchable a word or phrase
- New dynamic positioning guides to help place objects and imprints
- A new Hand tool that makes it easier to reposition a PDF in the document window and to scale your view of it
- A new capability to select, copy, and delete annotations from the Annotations sidebar
- An added capability for exporting to various graphic formats (previous versions could only export to TIFF)
This ebook was created in collaboration with Smile, with PDFpen's developers tech editing the book.
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...