Because version control shouldn't be a maze
About the Book
If you're not careful it's easy to have git history that:
- is complicated to reason about,
- hides work done (or work removed),
- contains erroneous commits, or worse, loses commits.
There are many many git horror stories. Lost work, lost time and lost hair.
This book details simple strategies to have a sane git experience, catch mistakes early and learn how to do git the right way.
- With great power comes great responsibility
- The solution: keep it simple
- Why: Fork
- Why: Small branches from master
- Why: Pull request
- Why: Update via rebase
- Why: Review the network graph
- Why: Sane release management
- In this book
2. Getting setup
- 2.1 Signing up to Github
- 2.2 Installing git
- 2.3 Configuring git
- 2.4 Forking the upstream repository
- 2.5 Cloning your fork
- 2.6 Setting up remotes
- 2.7 The fast-forward alias
3. The workflow
- 3.1 Fetching the latest code
- 3.2 Starting work - branching from master
- 3.3 Creating a pull request
- 3.4 Merging a pull request
- 3.5 Updating a branch
- 3.6 Squashing commits
- 3.7 Why this workflow
4. The network graph
- 4.1 Example graph
- 4.2 Current branches
- 4.3 Merged branches
- 4.4 Interacting
- 4.5 Catching mistakes
- 5. Sane Release Strategies (Coming soon)
- 6. War stories (Coming soon)
- 7.1 Can’t fast-forward master
- 7.2 Committed to master
- 7.3 Undo a rebase
- 8.1 Aliasing frequently used functions
- 8.2 Avoid pulling
- 8.3 Local network graphs
- 8.4 Checkout pull requests
- 8.5 Setting default text editor
- 8.6 IDEs
- Fetch latest code
- Create new branch
- Update branch with rebase
- Squash commits
- Hot-fix a commit
- Further reading
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.