Civic Structures: Why They Matter, How They Work
About the Book
How do you hold power to account? How do you report tragedies, scandals and policy dilemmas? This book shows journalism students how to get to grips with centres of civic power in the UK. We look at how UK civic structures work, how to contact politicians and officials and where to find the stories that matter. In the process, we look at the horror of the Grenfell fire, terrorism, child protection scandals, major hospital failures and the police approach to rape investigations.
- READ THIS FIRST
- Part A: The Overview
- 1. UK Government & Parliament
- 2. Devolution: How We Got Here
3. Reporting Wales & Scotland
- Consequences for England
- 4. Terror & Hope: Northern Ireland
- 5. Local Government
- Part B: News & Local Government
6. Child Protection
- The Tale of Baby P
- The Death of Declan
- Rotherham Child Abuse Scandal
7. Housing & Planning
- Planning Challenges
- Housing Challenges
- Structures in a Nutshell
- The Tale of Grenfell Tower
- Part C: Governments & Parliaments in Action
- 8. Why Students Do or Don’t Pay Tuition Fees
- 9. Bombing Syria
- Part D: Money
- 10. Government Budgets: Affecting Lives
11. The Price of Justice
- Paying for Justice (& Story Ideas)
- Part E: Reporting Public Services
12. The National Health Service
- Issues: The Never-Ending Health Stories
- Structures: How to Find Stories
- A Place of Fear: The Mid-Staffs Scandal
13. The Police
- Structure & Accountability
- Funding And Why It Matters
- Reporting Rape: The Police, the Politicians and the Press
- Cliff Richard, the Police & the BBC
- Part F: Final Tips For Newsdays
- 14. Guide to Compiling Your Student Newsday Diary
- Contacting Me
- About the Author
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.