Rails 3.0: A Student Manual
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2014-02-09
About the Book
This is an outdated book. (The current version of Rails is 4.0.4)
The old book converted for Leanpub, with minor typos corrected.
While the book is still free for online viewing, you can also purchase the e-book as a way of showing your support. Proceeds will go towards the updated versions of this manual and the other books I'm planning to write in the future.
Introduction to Ruby on Rails
- What is Ruby on Rails?
- Prerequisites of this Course
- Required Software
Installing Ruby on Rails
- Installing on Windows
- Installing on Linux
- Linux on Windows
- API Documentation
Web Application in 5 Minutes (or Less)
- Aling Nena’s Request
- Creating the Application
- Generating the Scaffolding
- Frequently Asked Questions
Modifying the Application
- Aling Nena’s Follow-Up
- Rails Migrations
- An Introduction to the Model-View-Controller Architecture
- Modifying the Model
- Modifying the Controller?
- Modifying the View
Rails Applications Without Scaffold (part 1: Show and List)
- The Plan
- Viewing a Record
- Adding a List Page
Rails Applications Without Scaffold (part 2: Delete and Search)
- Deleting a Record
- Adding a Search Screen
Rails Applications Without Scaffold (part 3: Insert and Update)
- Creating a Record
- Editing a Record
Rails Applications Without Scaffold (part 4: RESTFul Routes, Callbacks, Filters, and Layout)
- Reduce Route Entries with Resource-Based Routing
- Perform Actions While A Model is Saved using Callbacks
- Limiting User Access with Filters and Authentication
- Layouts and Rendering in the View
- Migrations for Associations
- Defining Associations in Models
- One-to-One Relationships
- One-to-Many Relationships
- Many-to-many Relationships
Skimming through Rails
- Rails Migrations
- Active Record
- Action Controller
- Action View
- Active Support Time Extensions
Automated Testing with RSpec
- Overview to Automated Testing
- Analysis of the Generated Specs
- Test Driven Development with RSpec
- More about Automated Testing
- Deployment Options
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.