5 top guides to mastering Kotlin
Last updated on 2018-09-25
About the Book
Learning a new language is exciting. It opens up a world of possibilities that were not available before.
In the case of Android and Kotlin, this is especially true. Thanks to the features of the language, you can change the way you solve your problems and become way more productive.
In this set of guides I show you how to make use of this features in your day to day projects:
- Anko: Learn how to create views using this powerful DSL instead of XMLs
- Kotlin DSL: Improve the way Gradle files are written and make them easy to modify thanks to the use of Kotlin instead of Groovy.
- Coroutines: Learn some of the basic of the coroutines and convert your asynchronous code to synchronous style
- Kotlin Android Extensions: Forget about findViewById and improve your code readability by drastically reducing the number of lines of code.
- Java Interoperability: Discover how all the new features of the Kotlin language interact with Java, where are the limits, and how it can help you with your current Java projects.
If you're just starting, you may be interested in my other book: Kotlin for Android Developers
1 Anko layouts on Android
- Anko layouts DSL
- Should I start using Anko layouts to build my projects?
- How to start using Anko
- Kotlin and Anko Layouts, an exciting combination
2 Kotlin DSL to write Gradle scripts on Android
- Using Kotlin DSL on your Gradle files. Is it worth it?
- How to convert your files
- It’s not easy, but it’s cool!
3 A first walk into Kotlin coroutines on Android
- Understanding how coroutines work
- Using Anko for coroutines
- Using coroutines in our example
4 Kotlin Android Extensions
- How to use Kotlin Android Extensions
- Kotlin Android Extensions in 1.1.4
5 Java interoperability
- Package-level functions
- Extension functions
- Function overloads
- Instance and static fields
- Data classes
- Sealed classes
- Inline functions and reified types
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.