Learn By Doing: React Native
Learn By Doing: React Native
About the Book
Are you bored with working through dreary tutorials and reading page after page of dry theoretical content to learn a new technology?
What if you had a motivating reason to get through the material?
This book gives you just that: a small React Native project that you build from scratch, with enough functionality to keep it interesting. "Learn By Doing: React Native with Maps" introduces you to a number of important React Native development tools and concepts, including navigation, Expo, and Google Maps SDK.
- Read This First
- Intro To React Native
Getting Started Using react-native-cli
- Setting Up Your Environment
- Development Process
Creating Your First Project
- Directory Structure of Your React Native Project
- Testing the Default App
- The Project Plan
React vs React Native
- Hello World in React vs React Native
- Ticking Clock in React vs React Native
Fetching a REST API
- Mocking a REST API
- Fetch the REST API
- React Native Picker vs HTML Select
A Word About State, Props, and Lifecycle Methods
- Render Method
- Component State and setState Method
- Component Props
- Handling Network Errors
- Handling Network Latency
- Progress Loader in React Native
- React Native Buttons
Navigation - Part I
- Stick with the Plan
- Add the GO Button
- Adding React Navigation Packages
- Using React Navigation Packages
- Running With Navigation
- Navigation - Part II
- Maps in React Native
- Passing Parameters to Routes
- Adding a Marker to a Map
- Deep Linking to Google Maps
- Build an Installable APK
Build an App Using Expo
- What is Expo?
- Simple Expo App
- Movies App Using Expo
- Contact Info
Appendix : Installing React Native Maps for Android
- Step (0) - npm install
- Step (1) - edit settings.gradle if using React Native 0.59 and lower
- Step (2) - add build.gradle dependency for React Native 0.59 and lower
- Step (3) - edit build.gradle
- Step (4) - Google Maps API Key
- Step (5) - add import for React Native 0.59 and lower
- Step (6) - make sure Google Play Services is installed
- What to do if things go wrong
Appendix : Promises
- Anonymous Functions and Arrow Functions
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.