iText 7: Jump-Start Tutorial
Last updated on 2016-05-19
About the Book
This tutorial is the first manual on how to use iText 7. It's not the ultimate resource the way "iText in Action" was for iText2 and "iText in Action - Second Edition" for iText5. It's called a Jump-Start Tutorial because it gives you a quick overview of the basic iText functionality, limited to PDF creation and manipulation. This allows new iText users to discover what's possible, whereas seasoned iText users will spot what's different compared to iText5.
iText 7 brings:
- a complete revision of all main classes and interfaces to make them more logical for users on one hand, while keeping them compatible with iText 5 as much as possible on the other hand,
- a completely new layout module, which surpasses the abilities of the iText 5
ColumnTextobject, and enables generation of complex PDF layouts,
- a complete rewrite of the font classes, enabling advanced typography.
It's our intention to release a series of separate tutorials zooming in on the different aspects of iText 7 in more detail, such as an in-depth overview of the high-level objects, an adapted "ABC of PDF" handbook, a manual dedicated to AcroForms and nothing but AcroForms. We'll also need tutorials for functionality that isn't covered in this Jump-Start Tutorial, such as digital signature technology and text extraction.
- Before we start: installing iText 7
Chapter 1: Introducing basic building blocks
- Introducing iText’s basic building blocks
- Publishing a database
Chapter 2: Adding low-level content
- Drawing lines on a canvas
- The coordinate system and the transformation matrix
- The graphics state
- The text state
Chapter 3: Using renderers and event handlers
- Introducing a document renderer
- Applying a block renderer
- Handling events
Chapter 4: Making a PDF interactive
- Adding annotations
- Creating an interactive form
- Filling out a form
Chapter 5: Manipulating an existing PDF document
- Adding annotations and content
- Changing the properties of form fields
- Adding a header, footer, and watermark
- Changing the page size and orientation
Chapter 6: Reusing existing PDF documents
- Scaling, tiling, and N-upping
- Assembling documents
- Merging forms
- Merging flattened forms
Chapter 7: Creating PDF/UA and PDF/A documents
- Creating accessible PDF documents
- Creating PDFs for long-term preservation, part 1
- Creating PDFs for long-term preservation, part 2 and 3
- Merging PDF/A documents
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.