Health in Uganda
Health in Uganda
Lies, lies and more lies!
About the Book
President Museveni recently defied ugandan MP's refusal to approve his defence budget unless more money was allocated to Health services at the expense of the Defence budget. Defence has always taken the lions share of Uganda's classified and unclassified expenditure while Health has continued to struggle with uganda performing well below the MDG target of 15% of GDP.
Uganda's health sector is a disaster shunned and avoided by all but the most desperate. Despite the governments official claims of free healthcare, Uganda's health services are anything but free. Local health centres are understaffed and under resourced while tertiary hospitals are clogged with advanced pathology that should have been picked up earlier by a functioning preventive health services and primary healthcare network. General practice is 100 % privately funded as there is no functional medicare style system with healthcare rebates while the governmebnt does not run public funded general practices.
The health care sector is bogged down by poor prioritisation, corruption and outright incompetence while politicians and government officials spend several times the health budget on the care of a handfull of well connected individuals abroad.
Health in uganda: Lies, lies and more lies is a collection of blog articles and online debates mostly with government supporters and NRM cadres about the healthcare sector in Uganda and its contradictions. It goes back many years and the debates have always been popular as many people from all walks of life are touched by and not immune to the disaster that is being hospitalised in a Uganda hospital. The most prominent victim of the NRM's mismanagement of health services was Mayombo a high ranking soldier and government official who on his deathbed was airlifted to a neighbouring country in the presidential jet in a game of futility. Another prominent beneficiary of this adhoc taxpayer funded ambulance was the presidents daughter who was airlifted to Germany for a normal delivery. This contrasts sharply with the 16 mothers who die in childbirth daily in Uganda! Uganda's political elite spent more than 350,000 USD in taxpayer funded healthcare overseas last year alone while their constituents have resorted to herbs and charlatans!
This book is a work in progress but has been released early due to popular demand. The author hopes to extend its reach offline and hopes that it will be read widely including by Ugandan politicians and health bureaucrats. it is free as in free beer and is available as a pdf for reading on computers, a mobi for kindle and as an epub for other readers, mobile phones and tablets. Future revisions will also be made available.
The author is a medical specialist who grew up in and had his early medical training in Uganda. He has practiced medicine on three continents. He also has a recent personal experience following a murder attempt two days after arriving in Uganda in July 2012. It is not known whether that incident had any relationship with his writings on social and political issues in uganda or whether it was a random event in the increasingly insecure country where numerous people continue to be murdered daily!
- September 2012
- Health in Uganda taken over by quacks
- Mulago and the disaster it has become
- Letter to Nina -now you think you can teach me about patriotism?
- Museveni has never had a vision for the provision of adequate healthcare services to Ugandans!
- July 2012
- Letter to Nina -Katayimbwa murders and the elusive NRM peace and security!
- March 2012
- Morphine is used in palliative care in patients with moderate to severe pain
- January 2012
- Letter to Nina -Does the NRM really need new laws to fight corruption?
- September 2011
- Bwindi hospital -why are strangers doing our governments job?
- Does anyone listen to FB debates?
- July 2011
- Letter to Nina -If you guys are going to talk about patriotism, you need to start putting your money where your mouth is!
- June 2011
- Fellow legislators should reject costly vehicles
- Letter to Nina -why Bundibugyo and Kabale should sack their politicians and recruit more doctors instead.
- May 2011
- Health services -why Ugandans should sue their government for better services.
- Letter to Nina. Hospital beds and NRM incompetence in health.
- Letter to Nina -Ugandan health services. Why does Uganda lose doctors to Rwanda!
- April 2011
- Fighter jets versus health -do Uganda’s leaders really care about the people they lead?
- March 2011
- Sue the government for services -way to go!
- February 2011
- Health -Using figures to tell lies!
- Really how hard could it be ….?
- January 2011
- Can Museveni claim to have improved the health care system in Uganda?
- Does Museveni practice nepotism?
- Letter to Nina -Random answers on health in UG.
- Self preservation as a motivator for change.
- When the ruling classes conspire to rob the tax payer
- November 2010
- Brain drain and patriotism
- Inviting Ugandan professionals back home in the name of patriotism!
- March 2010
- A woman in Uganda has 200% chance of dying from breast cancer than her counterpart in a developed country: WHY?
- January 2010
- Health -Absent general practice skills program
- Mulago -a child who has never travelled always believes their mother is the best cook
- On Mulago -what your politicians do not tell Ugandans and why the seek their healthcare overseas.
- Reflexology harmful -when a government does not protect its people
- Subspecialties -a dicussion with a Ugandan doctor. How the government has failed medical training and health services
- Uganda’s health services -why your politicians seek their healthcare abroad!
- HIV -International health research canibalising local health resources.
- April 2009
- Stating the obvious ……Letter to the New Vision
- Stating the obvious! ….New vision Editorial
- December 2008
- Sickle cell disease and fighting other negative forces in Uganda!
- September 2008
- Oxysilver, WASART, a pastor, the Vice Presidents office and a good old con and quackery!
- Of Elder, Greed, Lies, Altruistic lies and genocidal lies!
- To Elder whatever!
- Blood and ignorance!
- Canadian antiquackery site! Some Gems!
- WASART, quackery!
- Pseudo science, charlatans, false altruism and exploitation of the poor and ignorant!
- An American snake oil salesman in Uganda!
- March 2008
- Health for your mum and NRM lies!!!
- Health -trading places
- February 2008
- Government expenditure ; Misplaced priorities
- January 2008
- Too many balls!
- December 2007
- Eating Fugu when the chef won’t -our health centres
- More on health centres and why Uganda’s politicians do not use them
- November 2007
- Omwony Ojok, Mayombo, Bangirana and Katto -Reason for an inquest? Asking the right questions!
- June 2007
- Understanding why Ugandan politicians seek their healthcare abroad.
- May 2007
- Health -does this government have any vision for health?
- Health -Long on speculation and short on fact!
- Health -Mayombo’s death, a case for a public inquiry into healthcare services in Uganda
- Health -Mayombo’s death; did this government contribute to his demise?
- Health -of poor priorities and investigation!
- Health services -fact or speculation?
- Health -this government supplies air to its people!
- Health -when Ugandan “patriots” get treated abroad -by Ugandan doctors!!!
- Mayombo’s death. Who’s is to blame?
- Mayombo was killed by his governments incompetence!
- Mixed up health priorities and investigation!
- April 2007
- Cardiac surgery and internal brain drain in Uganda.
- June 2005
- Social welfare Ugandan style -how Ugandans survive state abandonment
- More on brain drain -written in 2004
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.