Glory and Coverings
Glory and Coverings
A Study of 1 Corinthians 11:1-16
About the Book
This book dives into 1 Corinthians 11, arguing that it still applies to us today.
Many people object to this interpretation, so much of the book examines and responds to specific objections.
The end of the book investigates the historic church's approach to head coverings.
If you want to obey God's law in worship, this book gives you arguments to work with.
- In a nutshell, what is the teaching on coverings?
- Are these teachings only for public worship? Yes.
1. Exegesis of the Passage
- 1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you.
- 1 Corinthians 11:3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
- 1 Corinthians 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.
- 1 Corinthians 11:5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved.
- 1 Corinthians 11:6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered.
- 1 Corinthians 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.
- 1 Corinthians 11:8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man.
- 1 Corinthians 11:9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man.
- 1 Corinthians 11:10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.
- 1 Corinthians 11:11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord.
- 1 Corinthians 11:12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.
- 1 Corinthians 11:13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
- 1 Corinthians 11:14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?
- 1 Corinthians 11:15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering.
- 1 Corinthians 11:16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.
2. Common Objections Answered
- Objection #1 – “The commands for long hair and a head covering are culturally relative and time bounded issues.”
- Objection #2 – “The passage only calls for long hair. It does not mandate a head covering.”
- Objection #3 – “If what is symbolized is honored, it doesn’t matter what sign we use.”
- Objection #4 – “This interpretation contradicts the law of the Nazarite and the fact that the high priest wore a head covering when he went into the holy place.”
- Objection #5 – “The head covering was only to be worn while praying or prophesying (v. 4) and since these supernatural gifts of ecstatic prayer and prophesying have passed away, women no longer need to wear head coverings or wear long hair.”
- Objection #6 – “This should just be an issue of individual conviction, not of church polity.”
- Objection #7 – “These instructions were only written to the Corinthian church and were not being imposed on other churches (cf. verse 16 ‘no such custom, nor do the churches of God’).”
- Objection #8 – “If Paul was mandating that men not be covered, then he would have run into conflict with Jewish men in the synagogues since Jewish men always wore a head covering in the synagogue.”
Appendix A: How Did the Early Church Interpret Paul?
- Church Fathers
- Catacomb Art
Appendix B: “Five Myths About Corinthian Headwear”
- The Headdress of Greek Women in Illustrations
- The Headdress of Roman Women in Illustrations
- About the Author
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
General Systems Thinker Bundle
5 BooksThe General Systems Thinker Bundle is just that: a bundle of five books to advance the reader one giant step toward improved thinking, based on General Systems principles. Four of the books are the complete General Systems Series. The fifth is fictional piece which shows some general systems thinkers in action. It's a mystery in which a group of...
Experiential Learning Bundle
4 BooksThis bundle provides all four volumes of the popular Experiential Learning Series at a savings of $20 over the price if purchased separately.
2 BooksAfter getting up and running with Ansible in Jeff Geerling's Ansible for DevOps, strengthen your skills managing tens to thousands of instances and services in Amazon's AWS cloud with Yan Kurniawan's Ansible for AWS.
Learn ECMAScript 6 inside and out
2 BooksFor any technology, it helps to get multiple points of view on the functionality to get the best possible understanding. For ECMAScript 6/2015, no two resources are recommended more frequently thanExploring ES6by Dr. Axel Rauschmayer andUnderstanding ECMAScript 6by Nicholas C. Zakas. These two points of view, investigating the specification and...
Software architecture, for systems old and new
2 BooksThis bundle includes books about hands-on software architecture.