Autism Understanding and Acceptance
Autism Understanding and Acceptance
awareness is not enough
About the Book
This is an eBook only.
Autism awareness has come a long way in the relatively short time since Autism was given a name back in the 1940's... starting with the belief that it was caused by 'refrigerator moms' that were uncaring or cold towards their children, we now know that Autism is actually based in neurology/genetics.
This book looks to go beyond simply being aware of autism as it's effects on people can be so very wide ranging that even there are no two people equally affected. Every person's strengths, weaknesses and experiences are different.
Stuart Duncan, the father of two children, the oldest an autistic, helps you to understand the nature of Autism, how to recognize it and how to accept those around you that may simply be just a little bit different from yourself.
- 1 Preface
- 2 The definition of Understanding
- 3 Autism in plain English
- 3.1 Technically Speaking
- 3.2 Something I need for you to know
- 3.3 Common Symptoms
- 3.4 Epilepsy/Seizures
- 3.5 Wandering/Elopement
- 3.6 Severe vs Savant
- 3.7 Why an autistic person might not look me in the eye
- 3.8 Causes
- 3.9 Treatments / Therapies / Diets
- 3.10 How can you help?
- 3.11 So Remember
- 4 Autism – is it an adjective, a definition, a description?
- 4.1 Autism actually is…
- 4.2 Does it define a person?
- 4.3 So which is it?
- 5 Low Functioning Autism vs High Functioning Autism
- 5.1 Pre DSM-5
- 5.2 Post DSM-5
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 6 Should you tell a stranger if you suspect their child may have autism?
- 6.1 It’s none of your business
- 6.2 Will she be offended?
- 6.3 Early intervention is passing them by
- 6.4 Are you certain of their situation?
- 6.5 A responsibility to each other and our community
- 6.6 Conclusion – It Depends
- 7 Acceptance is the greatest gift you can give a child with autism
- 7.1 If you can’t accept me, who will?
- 7.2 Acceptance is not giving up
- 7.3 Acceptance leads to self respect, self confidence, self reliance
- 8 How did ‘cure’ and ‘acceptance’ get to be such bad words?
- 8.1 Cure
- 8.2 Acceptance
- 8.3 Conclusion
- 8.4 A new way to think about old words
- 9 Your perception becomes your child’s reality
- 9.1 Less than perfect
- 9.2 Few exceptions
- 9.3 Unconditional love
- 10 Autistics that wish for a cure
- 10.1 Trying to make sense of the “why”
- 10.2 Is there something we’re missing?
- 11 Listening even if you disagree
- 11.1 The misconception of what it is to understand
- 11.2 The uncomfortable position it puts you in
- 11.3 Acceptance for the win
- 11.4 Autism Understanding and Acceptance
- 12 Understanding - The Bigger Picture
- 12.1 Understanding
- 12.2 Acceptance
- 12.3 Just One
- 13 Autism facts
- 14 About this book
- 15 About the author
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.