A Strange Game
Last updated on 2016-03-15
About the Book
Modern life is a strange game. It cannot be won, and the best you can do is to not play it.
So this is not a book about winning the Game. It contains no answers, no secrets, no shortcuts, no religion. It's a book about discovery, about what I slowly learned about the Game and how not to play it. It's what I want to tell my children, and I hope it will help you, too.
- Your Most Valuable Possession
- Now is all you have.
- Value experiences over stuff.
- Own your mistakes.
- Reduce distractions.
- Eliminate ads.
- Watch TV on your time.
- Imagine entertainment as something you can’t own.
- Everyone loves to buy things, but no one likes to be sold to.
- Zag when others zig.
- Live close to work and school.
- Everyone wants to be different, but no one wants to be the first.
- Be authentic.
- Life favors the good.
- It takes time to get good.
- You don’t have to go to school, but you need a plan.
- Make the most of your twenties.
- Be ready to not please your parents.
- The winner of an argument is often the one with the most documentation.
- Overcome your extended adolescence.
- Practice the Rule of Half.
- Learn to write well.
- To write well, read.
- Take pictures of signs when you travel
- Embrace shoshin.
- Live in a different country.
- Take your shoes off at the door.
- Question old habits.
- Make change happen.
- Buy what you need. Use what you have.
- Contribute, not consume.
- Limit your choices.
- Trust your first instinct.
- Just do good work.
- Open your mail every day.
- Technique, not technology.
- Buy a used car.
- Pay your credit cards off every month.
- Try to owe zero taxes every year.
- Save 10% for retirement.
- Take the match.
- Buy index funds.
- Learn how health insurance works.
- Tip well.
- Don’t drink sodas.
- Don’t eat out often, and rarely at fast food places.
- When you eat out, order what you want.
- Eating well costs more (sometimes).
- Eating well doesn’t have to cost more.
- Treat your body well in your teens and 20s (and later, too).
- Learn to make 5 dishes.
- Presentations are stories.
- Keep email messages short at work.
- Assume you’re the dumbest one in the room.
- Notes, References, and Further Reading
- Reading List
- A Last Word
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.