A Beginner's Guide To Becoming An App Entrepreneur
About the Book
Do you have an idea for a mobile app that you want to bring to life? From Bobby Gill and Jordan Gurrieri, the creators of the popular app entrepreneurship blog 'Idea To Appster', comes 'Appsters: A Beginner's Guide to App Entrepreneurship'. You don't need to be a programmer or technical wizard to create a successful app business, Appsters will show you how. Using their first hand experience launching multiple successful mobile apps, along with interviews conducted with other successful app entrepreneurs, Bobby and Jordan give you an easy-to-understand and comprehensive look at everything you need to know to take your idea and turn it into a successful app business. Written for a non-technical audience, Appsters breaks through the technical jargon to give you a plain-spoken, entertaining and end-to-end understanding of app entrepreneurship. From designing engaging user experiences, to choosing the right mobile platform, to effective marketing and promotion, follow along as Bobby and Jordan go step-by-step through the entire process of designing, building and releasing a mobile app for the iPhone from scratch. Appsters is a must have guide for the aspiring app entrepreneur. With Appsters you'll learn: - What separates the great money making apps from the rest of the pack - How to design beautiful apps that users will love to use and tell their friends about. - How to use paid-downloads, 'fermium' functionality and advertising to monetize your app from day 1. - How to manage the app development process from managing off-shore development teams to finding the right engineers to work on your app. - The secrets to marketing your app. Learn how successful app entrepreneurs use press releases, web sites, and social media to help their apps go viral and get thousands of downloads within a few weeks.
- 1 Introduction
- 1.1 Meet Our Sample App: ‘Dani’s List’
- 2 Welcome to the Appverse
- 2.1 The ‘Post-PC Era’
- 2.2 Meet the Mobile App
- 2.3 The Marketplace
- 2.4 An App for Every Season: The Different Types of Apps
- 3 ‘So I have this idea for an app…’
- 3.1 The Ten Appster Commandments
- 3.2 What Makes a Great App?
- 3.3 What Makes a Bad App?
- 3.4 Evaluating the Dani’s List app
- 4 App Economics 101
- 4.1 Monetization
- 4.2 Investment
- 4.3 Monetizing Dani’s List
- 5 Understanding App Technology
- 5.1 The Appster Dilemma: Native vs. Mobile Web Apps?
- 5.2 Choosing Your Mobile Platform
- 5.3 App Anatomy: What is an App Made of?
- 5.4 Choosing the Right Technology: Looking Beyond the Jargon
- 5.5 The Tech behind Dani’s List
- 6 Designing your App
- 6.1 Batteries Don’t Last Forever
- 6.2 Data Plans Aren’t Unlimited
- 6.3 Small Screens, Busy Hands, Poor Eyes, Fat Fingers
- 6.4 Don’t Reinvent the UI Wheel
- 6.5 Designing Dani’s List
- 7 Managing App Development
- 7.1 The Tragedy of Longhorn
- 7.2 The Mobile App Development Process
- 8 Concerning Engineers
- 8.1 Finding the Right Kind For Your App
- 8.2 Identifying the Good Ones
- 8.3 Herding Cats: Tips on Managing Them
- 9 Marketing your App
- 9.1 Setting User Acquisition Goals
- 9.2 The Basics
- 9.3 Leverage the Web to Promote Your App
- 9.4 Building an Audience for Your App
- 9.5 Get Your App Reviewed
- 9.6 Use Press Releases
- 9.7 Going Viral: Every Appster’s Dream
- 10 Conclusion: The Road Ahead
- 11 Credits
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.