Use Vim Like A Pro
Last updated on 2014-06-22
About the Book
"I had a feeling that the VI commands were defined semi-randomly. I now see that there is a design and that no other modern editor grasps the idea of a language of composable keystrokes." - MV
- Why Bother? (reasons)
- Why Write This Tutorial (approach)
- How should one use the tutorial? (usage)
- What can I do with this tutorial? (license)
Master The Basics
- A little reassurance first.
- What does it look like?
- Know the vim command pattern
- GET OUT!
- Don’t panic. You have undo/redo
- Move by context, not position
- Help is on its way.
- Shifted letters and DEATH BY CAPS!
- Quoting Your Regex Metacharacters
- Insert, Overwrite, Change
- NEVER PARK IN INSERT MODE.
- The Double-Jump
- Happiness is a good .vimrc
- Getting rid of things.
- Use the Dot.
- Use the Star
- Keep text in front of your face
Take cut-n-paste to the next level
- The Explorer
- Indenting and unindenting
- Little hints
- Shell Filtering
- Code Reformatting
- QuickFix mode is your friend
- Manual page access
- Ctags lets you navigate like a pro.
- Pasting in Insert Mode
- Record and playback macros.
- Mapping Keys
- Colors and Stuff
- Exploiting the path.
- The Alternate File
- Alternative Keystrokes
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Defending your civil liberties in a digital world.https://www.eff.org/
Based in San Francisco, EFF is a donor-supported membership organization working to protect fundamental rights regardless of technology.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.