Zero To Code
Zero To Code
How To Launch Your Career As A Software Engineer
About the Book
Zero To Code is a manual for launching a new career as a software engineer. With a laser focus on landing and keeping your first job as a web developer, its project-focused approach simultaneously reviews the basics of the core web technologies and builds your coder resume. Z2C also teaches you to answer your own software questions, since no book on the craft can ever be complete.
"Give someone a fish, feed them for a day. Teach a person to fish, feed them for life." This book teaches you how to land your first software engineering job and then to keep that job. With ample practical advice about how to look like a promising new coder to employers, Zero To Code is here to help people with minimal coding experience land their first paying job as a software engineer.
- 1. PART 1: ORIENTATION
2. The Goal: Getting Your First Programming Job
- 2.1 “How do I get a coding job?”
- 2.2 How This Book Is Organized
- 2.3 Pack Your Bags For A Learning Journey
- 2.4 How To Use This Book
- 2.5 TL;DR
- 2.6 18 Rock-Solid Tips for Success
3. PART 2: ON-THE-JOB TRAINING
- 3.1 A Workflow For Making, Saving, and Deploying Webpages
- 3.2 Software Development Processes, or “How To Make Software”
- 3.3 Get a Source Code Editor
- 3.4 Hacking the Mainframe
- 3.5 Your First Webpage
- 3.6 Keep Track of Your Code Files With Git
- 3.7 Experimenting With Git Branches
- 3.8 Your First Webpage Deployment With GitHub Pages
- 3.9 Interlude: A Mock Interview About Developer Workflow
- 3.10 Exercises
- 3.11 It’s Not What You Know, It’s Who You Know
- 3.12 Push Early, Push Often
- 3.13 Welcome To The Club
- 3.14 Part 2 Checklist
4. PART 3: BUILDING BLOCKS
- 4.1 Make Webpages Look The Way You Want Them To
- 4.2 How The Internet Works
- 4.3 Just Enough HTML To Be Dangerous
- 4.4 Structuring Content With HTML, Serving It Locally With Python
- 4.5 Styling Webpages With CSS
- 4.6 TURNING MOCKUPS INTO CODE
- 4.7 The Box Model - How To Think About Webpage Content
- 4.8 THE CSS DOJO
- 4.9 Exercises
- 4.10 The Big Picture - Layout, Grid Systems, and Responsive Web Design
- 4.11 Flex Your Responsive Webpage Skills
- 4.12 Libraries and Lazy Coders - How To Make Better Software With Less Effort
- 4.13 Build Your House With CSS Libraries
- 4.14 Keep Building, Keep Pushing Code
- 4.15 Turn Tutorials Into Repositories
- 4.16 How To Find Tutorials
- 4.17 Recap
- 4.18 Part 3 Checklist - “Building Blocks”
5. PART 4: BUILDING SOFTWARE SYSTEMS
- 5.1 Software Engineering
- 5.2 A More Complete Programming Language
- 5.3 Manipulating Webpages: The Document Object Model and Other Browser APIs
- 5.5 AJAX The Mighty: The Rise of Web Applications
5.7 Libraries and Lazy Coders - Using
npmto Create and Use Node Packages
- 5.8 This chapter is in progress.
- 5.9 Frontend + Backend = Full-Stack
- 5.10 This chapter is in progress.
- 5.11 Project: Vue.js
- 5.12 This chapter is in progress.
6. Appendix A: A Hacker’s Bookshelf
- 6.1 The Essentials
- 6.2 Websites For Research and Problem Solving
- 6.3 Handy References
- 6.4 Fun Reads
- 6.5 Computer Science
- 7. Appendix B: Workflow Cheatsheet
- 8. Glossary
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.