The Web Developer's Toolkit
Last updated on 2018-08-11
About the Book
As web developers, everything we do is mediated through a set of tools. Not just the programming languages we use, but a set of applications, libraries, commands, and what not that enable us to write and maintain our code.
* We type our code into an editor. Editors are very powerful, with all kinds of hooks for customization and automation.
* We run commands in a terminal, that uses a command shell. Command shells have all kinds of ways to automate common tasks. Many terminal programs have customization or visibility options.
* We share code using Git and GitHub. Both of these are very powerful tools, full of uncommonly used, but useful features.
* We run our code in a web browser. Modern web browsers have powerful inspection and debugging tools, as well as extension libraries.
* We use an operating system that can run other helpful applications, and which has its own opportunities for automation and customization.
There's a _lot_ of power here, but it's easy to get lost in a maze of customization for customization's sake.
This book will provide a number of genuinely useful tips and tools that will help you better manage your development environment.
I'm going to focus not just on the nuts-and-bolts of the tools and tips, but also why they are useful, and how to make them more useful.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.